best way to connect hds and dvdrs (ide)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fork

Baseband Member
So I have a compaq that I have added a video card, ram, extra hd etc and by cd/dvd burner has stopped working. I don't remember exactly when this happened, but the question is as follows.

I have 2 hds, a new dvdr which i know is fine and a cd drive which I though was bad, but I'm guessing may still work. So what is the best way to hook these up, ie which drives should I put together on which cables, and is it better to use cable select or regular jumpers for slave and master. I would really be like to use this burner again and I can't think of any other reason it wouldn't work.

thanks yall

If your hard drives are IDE, connect both to one IDE cable. While the other IDE cable, connects both optical drives. Set the main hard drive to master, and the rest to slave.

I'd put the CD and DVD drives as cable select - put the DVD-r drive on the end of the cable and the CD drive on the middle plug.

put the hard drives together like b1gapl said, and put ur C: drive (basically the drive u have windows installed on) as your master and the other as your slave. the master gets plugged into the end of the IDE cable, and the slave gets plugged into the middle plug. Wen mounting the hard drives, because of the way they are plugged in, you need to mount the master above the slave. When plugging it into the mobo, plug it into the primary IDE slot, use the secondary for ur optical drives, master will be on top, at the end of the cable, and the slave will be under that, using the middle plug. Make sure to set jumpers accordingly (ie. master for master, slave for slave)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom