Ticking/Popping Listening to CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccskorn

Baseband Member
Whenver I listen to a CD in my new NEC drive, it makes a constant ticking/popping sound that comes out of the speakers. It only happens when trying to play a cd, not when playing MP3s off of the harddrive. I have all of my motherboard's drivers up to date, including the onboard audio. I just tried listening to CDs now, so I don't know if it occurred before. If it doesn't clear up I'll probably RMA it w/ Newegg. Is there anything I should check? I reconnected the IDE cables, and blew on the connections. Anyone else ever experienced something like this?

I plugged my speakers into the jack on the front of the drive, and it doesn't do it, so I'm going to probably pick up a new IDE cable and see what happens.

case fans can can put out a certain amount of electromagnetic "noise" or static if too close to a sound card (thats been my experience) but thats probable not it since its only happening when you actually play cds....hmmmm.....also the motor from the cd rom can do that too. your onboard sound card could be picking up the "static" on the connector going from the cd rom to the board. could be the mobo design. srry i can't be of much more help.

just an update on this, almost RMAed it, but decided to see if there were any firmware updates, and there was one, and I also enable DMA, can't believe I forgot that, and also enable an option in Device Manager to enable Digital CD Audio, now it works great, and even sounds better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom