Case: Antec 900 or Coolermaster 534?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyf

Daemon Poster
I can't decide between the two cases. I know the 900 is better on paper, but here are the cons:

-more expensive!
-A tiny bit ostentatious for my liking (but not too crazy)
-Big! (significant moving around, being a student)
-psu positioning and wire length problem

What would be the relative cooling abilities of the two?

Oh, another thing: MX-1 or MX-2? MX-1 is cheaper, MX-2 was not listed on that russian review that someone posted the other day.

The Antec 900, definitely has better cooling performance. That is probably where the higher price comes in.

I would prefer the Cooler Master Centurion 534, because of it's looks, and price. I can just mod it, to hold more fans. Having the PSU at the top, also makes for better wire management.

As for the thermal paste. I don't think MX-2 is that much better than MX-1. So just get whichever is available.

The Antec 900, definitely has better cooling performance. That is probably where the higher price comes in.

I would prefer the Cooler Master Centurion 534, because of it's looks, and price. I can just mod it, to hold more fans. Having the PSU at the top, also makes for better wire management.

As for the thermal paste. I don't think MX-2 is that much better than MX-1. So just get whichever is available.

Not too sure about modding! Where could you put more fans on such a case? Another exhaust in the top? Another input fan in the side?

Not too sure about modding! Where could you put more fans on such a case? Another exhaust in the top? Another input fan in the side?

That's what I was thinking. But then the Centurion 534, has a side intake fan. I would just add a front intake, and mod the top, to house a top exhaust fan. All that should keep things, pretty nice and cool.

Where would I put a front intake? It would take 4, 5.25 bays to fit a 120mm fan in! I always felt that they put too many 5.25 bays in these cases, but I wouldn't want to get rid of 4!

11-119-106-24.jpg

If you look at the bottom front, there is a slot for a case fan.

Oh sure, I thought you mean in addition to the front fan. I think it comes with a front fan pre-installed, so my plan was to fit 2x 1600rpm Scythe Sflex 120mm, one on my thermalright ultra 120 xt, and one on the exhaust.

additional to that, would you say: 2 more sflex:
-use the side fan slot sucking in
-mod an exhaust fan into the roof, infront of the psu

How does that sound? I've heard side fans don't really do much, though.

There is the added problem that 3x sflex ~ £35 ($65), which is the added spend on the 534 for the above configuration, over the A900, which already has all the chassis fans I would need. This makes the A900 cheaper!

Oh and cheers for going to the effort of finding a good pic to show me!

The reason, the cost becomes more then the Antec 900, is that you're selecting rather expensive fans. There are cheaper alternatives, that can do quite as well.

The side intake fan, can help cool the graphic card, which is a good thing, when you're gaming. But it's not necessary, if the components aren't getting too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom