POST OK, Cannot Install Windows/Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, UsernameTaken. I had the same problem before and this is how I fixed it. If you are using an IDE optical drive or HDD, thats likely to be the problem. There is 2 types of IDE cables, 40 pin and 80 pin. Make sure you are using the 80 pin because udma 100 and 133 requires a 80 pin ide.

This sounds like either memory problems or overheating problems, first do a memory test download windows memory diagnostic Microsoft Online Crash Analysis aftar you download open it up and follow the steps and burn it to cd and then reboot your pc with the cd in the drive and it will boot of the cd let the test run for a good 4 hours they say 8 hours to be fully sure of no memory problems but i think 4 hours shows most memory problems ,Post back aftar your done if no errors next thing to do will be to check your cpu temps in the bios

Funny how everyone on this forum said it would be a piece of cake, and everything would go smoothly and there wouldn't be any problems. Funny how everyone said in that in the rare chance I had a problem they would be able to help me fix it instantly. Funny how they were all wrong. Funny how I wasted $1500 and more than 30 hours of my time. Funny how I'm not laughing.

This is why I never recommend for others to build if they are not confident about it. I agree with EricB, sounds like a memory problem or a motherboard issue. Go to BIOS and check the temperature of your cpu, if it seems a bit too high (50+), then your mobo is broken assuming you installed your cooler right. If your temperature is in the normal range, then its your RAM.

I don't think it's RAM because UsernameTaken can install Ubuntu with no problem. I don't think it's the temps because, once again, he installed ubuntu with no problem.
But he should check it anyway.

Hey, UsernameTaken. I had the same problem before and this is how I fixed it. If you are using an IDE optical drive or HDD, thats likely to be the problem. There is 2 types of IDE cables, 40 pin and 80 pin. Make sure you are using the 80 pin because udma 100 and 133 requires a 80 pin ide.

hey listen to this guy he might have a point

hey listen to this guy he might have a point

most mobo's will warn you if you do this. this being his first build. it's almost impossible for him to have the older cable

I don't think it's RAM because UsernameTaken can install Ubuntu with no problem. I don't think it's the temps because, once again, he installed ubuntu with no problem.
But he should check it anyway.

you can install xp with bad ram. I've done that before. it depends on how bad the ram is

bad ram can make a million different things happen. a computer can run forever, but will always act goofy because of bad ram or it can restart intermediately or it can just load to the BSOD. bad ram can corrupt your hdd files

My HDDs are SATA, not sure about my optical drive. My optical drive is this one. Newegg says Interface: E-IDE/ATAPI

google memtest86. it's an iso file that checks your ram. also, never take the xp disc out during an install. just let it run and don't hit key to boot from cd, the second time around. try setting your bios to the defaults when you go to install too.

I'm running memtest86+ v1.70, how long should I run it for? does it ever stop?

This is why I never recommend for others to build if they are not confident about it. I agree with EricB, sounds like a memory problem or a motherboard issue. Go to BIOS and check the temperature of your cpu, if it seems a bit too high (50+), then your mobo is broken assuming you installed your cooler right. If your temperature is in the normal range, then its your RAM.

I will check temp after memtest is done. I've been running this case with the side panel off (which means minus one fan) but I don't think it's too hot.

Edit: I ran memtest for at least 15 minutes then randomly the computer shut off. It could have been anywhere from 15 mins to at least half an hour, I wasn't really paying attention but the last time I checked the time it was 15 minutes. I think I might have heat problems.

I started up and looked in the BIOS, it was 50C CPU temp but now it has risen to 64C. MB is steady at 34C. My house was a little warmer than normal so I just turned down the AC and turned on my fan in my room. I also put back the side panel and plugged in that fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom