Real world differences...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
Between a Opty 165/X2 3800 overclocked with 3GB of RAM compared to a Core 2 Duo E1240/E6300 overclocked with 2GB of RAM? (Keeping in mind it will be a PITA removing the mobo and backplate.)

Also how much does Vista improve with 3GB compared to 1.5? Gaming doesn't really happen anymore, and I don't care how fast it is to calculate Pi. I want my PC to be fast and responsive for web browsing, loading iTunes, photoshop work, (and I am trying to get into 3dsmax [which when the time comes to render, will be done overnight.])

Thanks. :)

For general windows use there's very little difference between AMD and Intel...however the Core 2 Duo's REALLY shine in rendering/encoding apps.

I am currently bidding on a CCBBE 0610DPMW Opty 165 (he took it to 2.8GHz stable) so will see how that goes (was outbidded but that was then retracted. I don't expect to win but not putting any more than £50 incl on it.)

The problem I am looking at is my RAM/mobo/CPU is worth £80. £180 will replace that with low C2D stuff. So end result is £100. A 939 based dual core is £42 for 3800, which will raise to £50 for a 165. RAM is what? £50 for some nice sticks. £100 total. I expect to get £20 back from selling my stuff.

I am thinking that Vista will perform great with 3GB with superfetch so would in real world perform better? I'm not a fan of waiting for things to happen but ripping a CD into FLAC with EAC will never be instant, so I can move off and do something while that happens.

Vista performs great with 2gb of memory as well.

Oh and you might want to also keep a lookout for the 89w 4400x2's...I had one and it did 3.03ghz on 1.485...it's a bit easier to clock IMO since it has the 11x multi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom