DSL not detected (phone jack problem?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
Okay, here's the problem. My girlfriend can't connect to her DSL service. I tried her comp, modem and wires and everything at my house (same exact ISP), and it works fine. But at her house, it wont work. Her mom wont let her use any of the phone jacks from other rooms, so I can't test out my only theory: could it be that the phone jack doesn't work with the DSL line? It works fine for regular phone stuff as far as I know, but the modem's "DSL" light doesn't come on, and her connection manager wont connect.

Just wondering if using a different jack might work, as we don't wanna make a lot of trouble getting her mom to let her set up a split line to her room if it's not going to even work.

"Loading... Answer the phone..."

This might have allot to do with her Phone jack Compressor. Those things they tell you to connect to every phone jack you use. and the company you got it from usually gives you allot of them... Try switching them.:cool:

Well the package came with what SBC calls "filters"... they separate the frequencies so you can use both the DSL connection and normal phone line at the same time, right? Yeah, she's got a bunch, I'll switch them out next time I'm over there, and if that doesn't solve anything I guess I'll go ahead and see if her mom will let me run a line from another jack (she doesn't want it looking 'tacky').

"...Oh! you're still here?..."

Allso keep in mind, that if she used to have a 56K modem, that she needs to hook one on that too...:cool:

perhaps there is more than one fone number in the house and the telco hooked the dsl to the wrong number(*line*) - take the dslmodem and filter to the other jack and see if the dsl works then... if it does, call the telco and ask them to move it to the other number....
Note - dsl filters need to be installed on all of the phones hooked up to the line - not just the one that the dsl modem is on... thats Y they give U so many of them...

Because the connection is DSL, you have to put those filters on every telephone in the house. She probably has a couple of filters which came with her service.

I just remembered that i had this problem once, and it was because there was a telephone in the basement and i forgot to put a filter on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom