XP Home or Professional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicked15

Baseband Member
I've been using 98SE for over three years because that's the most my system could handle. I'm finally building my first system from scratch and I'm not sure if it pays to spends twice as much for XP Pro. I mainly plan on using my sys (P4 2.8 800FSB) for college paper writing, watching movies, playing a game here and there, and for playing around with my digi pix. Will XP Home do the trick or would I be better off with Pro?

For what you are talking about using your computer for, Home would work. The main difference between home and pro is found in networking capabilities. Pro, for example, can log into a Windows domain while Home can't. Pro also is more customizable in areas such as users, groups, group policy, audits, dynamic disks, etc. If you can live without any of the features I just mentioned, go home. If you need them, then my suggestion would be to go pro.

Being that I don't know what half of the things you mentioned are, I guess going with Home will do! :) But is there a difference in stability? I read something about Pro being more stable and Home having trouble reading certain drivers?? Not sure exactly...know anything about that?

A unbranded version of XP home from a local retail or computer store will be fine. Where you will find problems is in the versions of XP Home that companies like HP, Dell, etc. include on their store PCs when you buy them.

Ahha, so if i buy the software from newegg.com where I plan on buying my computer parts from, it should be fine?

Yes. Home and Pro (the unbranded versions) are basically the same operating system, except Home removes some networking and customizablility features to make it cheaper for home users.

Heh, I've been planning for months already! ;-) I hope to get the money together in the next couple of months, but I hope to let everyone who helped me know how it turns out! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom