Quad processors, motherboards, Video cards, and Half Life 2: Episode 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyR~

Baseband Member
So I am at it again: Another round of computer upgrading. As a mildly fluent techie, I find myself knowledgeable, but never knowledgeable on the current tech whims and woes.

After a short hiatus, from the tech scene, I find myself asking more questions than answers finding me. Yet, I am back, now here comes the questions:

--So what's the deal with the Quad core processors is it worth the venture? I am the cliché of a 20 year-old gamer: Gaming is all I do and all I want to do. I just want the top stuff to stay ahead of my competition.

After scavenging NewEgg, I have come up with the list of parts for you sharp, knowledgeable techies on the Tech Forums to critique.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2

Mobo: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI

Video Card: XFX PVT80GGHD4 GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB)

Hard Drives: (2) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB

TOTAL $854.94

So, how do I stack up? Honestly, I am just waiting for HL2 episode 2 and Team Fortress 2 to come out so I can play those on maxed out settings without fear of lag or performance loss.

yeah you can play em on max settings, really the Source engine is getting pretty old ( althought still dang good looking imho! ) so it doesnt take as much juice as you think althought episode 2 will have graphical enhancements.

So I am at it again: Another round of computer upgrading. As a mildly fluent techie, I find myself knowledgeable, but never knowledgeable on the current tech whims and woes.

After a short hiatus, from the tech scene, I find myself asking more questions than answers finding me. Yet, I am back, now here comes the questions:

--So what's the deal with the Quad core processors is it worth the venture? I am the cliché of a 20 year-old gamer: Gaming is all I do and all I want to do. I just want the top stuff to stay ahead of my competition.

After scavenging NewEgg, I have come up with the list of parts for you sharp, knowledgeable techies on the Tech Forums to critique.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2

Mobo: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI

Video Card: XFX PVT80GGHD4 GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB)

Hard Drives: (2) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB

TOTAL $854.94

So, how do I stack up? Honestly, I am just waiting for HL2 episode 2 and Team Fortress 2 to come out so I can play those on maxed out settings without fear of lag or performance loss.

I own an 8800 GTS 320MB and a 6000+ I can run HL2 at 1680x1050, all settings on high, 16X AA, 16X AF, at about 20-60 fps (average is around 30)
If I set AA to 4X, I usually get about 200fps

*edit*
BTW, I forgot that that is actually with the Fakefactory Cinematic Mod, which has much higher resolution textures

I recommend these parts

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

E6750 outperforms 6000+ at stock, and it overclocks much better as well

You can get E6550 if you want to save more money

I've always been partial to AMD, --Have always built AMD systems, never intel-- But in this case I want performance, without going over $300 (budget).

What about the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom