upgrading gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwardopowers

Baseband Member
i recently posted specs for a new gaming rig,,but for cost reasons ive decided to upgrade instead...i already have the mobo and disk drive...but everything else will need upgrading..so here is the parts ive picked out and the ones ive already got..PS i might change over to the new amd cpu if its better,,and get a new mobo off course.

case: Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan - Retail
cpu: ClubIT Product - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping Kentsfield 2.40GHz 8MB L2 LGA 775 Processor OEM HH80562PH0568M
mobo:Newegg.com - ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
gpu:Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N881-AR GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
psu:Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Retail
ram:Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
hdd:Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
hdd:Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
monitor:Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1(DC 3000:1) - Retail
mouse:Newegg.com - Logitech G5 2-Tone 6 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser 2000 dpi Mouse - Retail
keyboard:Newegg.com - Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - Retail
sound card:Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
cpu cooler:Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail
vga cooler:not able to find one to fit the 8800 besides the zerotherm
speakers:Newegg.com - Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speaker - Retail
os:Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

Do not buy OEM and go through the same crap I'm going through right now with OEM from Microsoft.

Tuniq tower for your cpu cooler.

You said you alreayd have the motherboard? Otherwise get a P5K for better overclocking, or a cheaper option is the DS3R

The G-skills are good b/c they have the highest chance of recieivng a certain D9 micron chipset, which is best for overclocking.

Most of it looks great to me...

Things I would change:

-Get the Q6600 G0 stepping, it runs cooler

-Get a different motherboard that supports 1333fsb processors like the 680i or preferably the p35 chipset

-Get a different CPU cooler (recommend Tuniq Tower, Noctua, Thermalright Ultra 120 or Ultra 120 Extreme with your choice of fan)

-Get a different VGA cooler, there's no way in **** that zerotherm is going to cool an 8800. The Thermalright HR-03+ with a fan is a good option

-I would change your storage drive (keep the raptor if you want) to a Seagate 7200.10

The G-skills are good b/c they have the highest chance of recieivng a certain D9 micron chipset, which is best for overclocking.

Personally, I prefer crucial as the ballistix ALWAYS have D9 chips....and their RMA service is pretty fast and they've got a lifetime warranty....but the G. Skills are pretty great as well. Personal preference really.

Personally, I prefer crucial as the ballistix ALWAYS have D9 chips....and their RMA service is pretty fast and they've got a lifetime warranty....but the G. Skills are pretty great as well. Personal preference really.

Well their are lots of D9 chipsets.

"The G.Skill has a 80 percent chance of D9GMH and 10 percent chance of D9GKX and 10 percent chance of D9QCT"

thanks for your help guys,,i added the suggested parts to the list...but one thing that kills me is newegg doesnt have the Q6600 go stepping cpu...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom