Want to buy a laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
I'm gonna be getting a new job soon and would like to build a laptop. It's something I've wanted for a long time.

It needs to be able to play games, but not necessarily on maxed settings. If it can play BF2 on medium settings fluently I'd be happy. I want 17" screen size if at all possible. I want at least an AMD Turion X2 CPU and 2GB of RAM.

Now.. I've found this: Newegg.com - EVEREX XT5000T NoteBook AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50(1.60GHz) 17.0" Wide XGA+ 1GB DDR2 533 100GB 5400rpm Dual layer DVD Burner NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 - Retail

It seems to fill what I want pretty good. It doesn't have a very fast CPU but at least it's dual core and should play some games.

I need to know though... are laptops usually upgradeable, or is everything integrated? Can I upgrade the CPU, video card, RAM and hard drives later if I want to?

Thanks.

You can upgrade the laptop CPU, but they are very expensive. The video is either integrated or a card, most like integrated. The ram is the simplest part, its just under the laptop behind a cover. Hard drive is simple too. Like the ram, unscrew one or two screws, pull out the tray and replace.

You can upgrade the laptop CPU, but they are very expensive. The video is either integrated or a card, most like integrated. The ram is the simplest part, its just under the laptop behind a cover. Hard drive is simple too. Like the ram, unscrew one or two screws, pull out the tray and replace.

Agree here - RAM and HD are easy to do. Heck, even the CD ROM is as well. Video card, i don't think so.

If you are looking to carry your laptop around, i would stay away from the 17inch screen. I had a 15inch one and was pain in the butt to carry. 14inch is perfect. just my 0.2 ;)

The Asus S96s is a good choice. Its less than $600 (without components) and it usually comes with a 8600M GS

If you have a MXM slot, you'll be able to upgrade the video card as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom