POST OK, Cannot Install Windows/Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameTaken

In Runtime
My computer POSTs fine. I have tried to install Windows like 10 times. Every single time it has failed. I've tried a custom performance edition I got and the normal install disc. This is what happens. I put in the disc, turn it on, and I get the blue screen of installation. I tell it to partition, it does, and then I tell it to install. It tells me to take out the disc so I do, and then it goes to the fancy XP install GUI where it tells me about all the features. It tells me to put in the disc so I do, and then a couple minutes later I hear my system shut off. I've tried everything - I set my BIOS settings back to factory default, I changed the boot priority settings in the BIOS, I've used both discs... nothing.

I had better luck with Ubuntu, but it still didn't work. I put in the Ubuntu disc, installed it, and downloaded a driver for my nVidia Leadtek 7300GT. I connected to my network just fine, but the standard driver had this big black bar on the left side and I had to scroll up and down. It said I needed to restart for the new driver so I did, that's when it quit working. I got an error, something about failure to load OS.

At first I thought it was the CD's fault, because it's a copy I burnt to CD-RW. But then I tried Ubuntu and now I think it's probably somethign else. I have my legit Windows key but that doesn't help because I can never get to the point where I enter it.

I don't think it's the hardware because you can install the Ubuntu. Probably you are doing something wrong when configuring the driver. You can use the automatix to install the driver, or check this guide to install it. What is the error string you get when loadin the ubuntu?

I can install Ubuntu but when I told it to restart it didn't load...

It told me that I needed to install a driver and it said something like click here to do so, and it worked. It was the Restricted Device Manager that the link talks about.

But why does my Windows install never work? I put in the CD, partitioned a little less than half of my 80GB drive to NTFS, and off it went... and then it stopped.

I'm going to post from my laptop from now on so I'll be right next to my computer.

The error when Ubuntu doesn't load is "Failure to load Operating System" and then nothing happens so I have to turn off and then turn it back on.

I deleted my Ubuntu partition now I'm in the process of trying a different Windows CD-RW.

Update: New CD did not work either. I partitioned to NTFS, it started to install, and failed. It's the same thing over and over, does not matter what disc I use.

My friend gave me his BootCD and it's got a bunch of partition managers and stuff that I have no idea how to use. Should I use one of those programs instead of the Windows installer?

I don't think it will help.
Do you get a blue screen of death or the computer simply turn off with no error?

Successfully installed Ubuntu and my graphics card driver. Ubuntu now runs in native resolution and is connected to my wireless network. I've got a dual boot prompt for Ubuntu or XP.

Selecting XP gives me: XP screen with blue loading bar, then "Setup is being restarted", then "An exciting new look" and it asks me for my disc and I bet it will do the exact same thing it did every other time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom