Help with 2nd Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hello All! Looking to build a second PC. This system will be used mainly for internet surfing, watching movies, and encoding video. In most cases I would have an idea of what to build, but I really don't know which CPU AMD/Intel is better for encoding video.

I plan to use the following items:

250GB Western Digital HDD Sata 2 $55
Cooler Master Pro Centurion Case $50
Lite-On DVD writer $40
Total so far: $145

I'm looking for recomendations on:

Motherboard/CPU
Ram to go with it (Want 1GB)
An inexpesnive PCIe video card
Power Supply
(network adapter if not built into motherboard)

I'm trying to stay at or under $450 U.S and buy most of my items from NewEgg so if anyone can share some Egg links, that would be great :) That's $450 WITH shipping charges if possible.

I have a keyboard, mouse, and LCD panel and I will be running WinXP Pro, but should probably make sure the system is Vista ready for the future since I plan to use it for a few years.

Thank you for any help.

Thank you :) That is easy on the budget too!

2 quick questions on the build.

1. Is the onboard video card on the motherboard reasonable for how I will be using the PC? Debating whether or not I should just go with that and get 2gbs of Ram.

2. I'm not familiar with ATI, in my main build I have a eVGA 8800GTS 640MB. I've used Nvidia for aeons. Are there any DX10 Nvidia boards that are at the same price?

Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it.

That will raise the price on his budget, which I think he prefers not to. I assume he's not looking for better gaming performance, as he's only using it for general use and encoding. Besides, he has an 8800GTS, in his other rig.

Shafre said:
2. I'm not familiar with ATI, in my main build I have a eVGA 8800GTS 640MB. I've used Nvidia for aeons. Are there any DX10 Nvidia boards that are at the same price?

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with going with ATi. I have both Nvidia and ATi cards, in my two rigs, and they both have served me well. But that is up to you, to decide. If you want the Nvidia equivalent, then you can go for the 8600GT.

That will raise the price on his budget, which I think he prefers not to. I assume he's not looking for better gaming performance, as he's only using it for general use and encoding. Besides, he has an 8800GTS, in his other rig.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with going with ATi. I have both Nvidia and ATi cards, in my two rigs, and they both have served me well. But that is up to you, to decide. If you want the Nvidia equivalent, then you can go for the 8600GT.

I agree with b1gapl.

I have a evga 8600GT, and it is fine for video editing, and even casual gaming. It outperforms the 8800 series cards for HD/Blue-Ray DVD playback or so I've heard. Supports Dx10

its only $100
Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Thank you all :)

I will just stick with the onboard video card and up the ram to 2GBs for now. I think for what the PC will be used for the extra ram will be better.

Should I consider spending extra money on the CPU since I won't be buying a video card? I know CPU and motherboard are usually the biggest hassle to upgrade, so if anyone feels I should spend more on the CPU I will do that now, otherwise, for $65 that AMD looks great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom