First attempt at building from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh awesome, that means I can get a better mouse too ^^

No worries about negative posts, all feedbacks good feedback (even if its bad, whee oxymoron).

Also the "C" model was £4 cheaper but if theres a chance of things going dodgy I think I might be able to managed the extra £4 :p .

Hmm, if the PSU could probably do the GTX thingy as well, could I go to a 420W and still be fine? (also, how do you work that sorta thing out, so I can stop asking repetative questions :) )

Oh and thanks for all your help so far.

Well, if not sure about 'dodgy' happenings with the C. I have no experience, but I doubt it would be more that a little bit of extra fiddling required

Hrm. 450W would prolly do it, I'd verge on the 520W just to be on the safe side- I would've thought that rig would operate at 200-300W if that, but you need a bit more as there is maximum drain on bootup. I just go by what other people use. 520W would certainly give you a little more overhead for problems/ upgrade. What is important is that the power capcity is high on the +12V rail which is true for the 450. I reckon it would prolly be alright. The downer with the 450 is that it doesn't have modular cables, but thats not a huge problem.

hrm, maybe get a few more opinions to be sure, but yeah, it would leave room for more in your budget. I would suggest putting that into a better CPU, rather than a mouse, but thats your choice.

Alrighty then, dropped the mouse and am looking at an E6600 instead.

thanks for all your help, really looking forward to this now heh

Now I'm going to change your mind again. Did you know that the quad core Q6600 is cheaper than the E6600? The Q6600 is better, so that's strange to see how the pricing works.

What? thats just plain wrong.

the E6600 does seem overpriced though. You seem to be able to get an E6750 for less. Why is that now?

The Q6600 is about £30 more even when on offer. Though as Andyf pointed out the E6750 is cheaper, is there a real difference between them?

*edit* Actually thinking about it, would it be worth it to wait a couple of weeks and get a Q6600 over an E6600 or 6750? would I notice a little/big/huge difference?

There is a big difference, in terms of multitasking. Not so much gaming, but the difference will get bigger, when more games, start supporting more than two cores. If you feel like you're stretching it, to get the Q6600, just get the E6750.

Alrighty, thanks.

How do you find out what the temps are that everything is running at?

The popular programs to monitor temperautres and give other info are Core Temp, Everest, and Speedfan.

You can never go wrong getting the Q6600 quad core though. In fact, for those users that are still running single core (ie, Athlon 64, Intel Pentium 4), I recommend the Q6600. It's a tremendous jump in performance and for a good price too.

I don't see any reason to get dual core unless you just want something a little bit cheaper, that's it. Gaming wise, Q6600 does just as good as the dual cores. It's multicore so dual core supported games will be fully functional with quad core.

It's just not utilizing the other two cores, that's it. Maybe you can run a AV program while you're playing :p. But the other two cores are idle or performing some other background processing, which run the efficiency factor even greater.

So the Q6600 would be faster if your alt tabbing through applications and games? (as in, I often have a game running, while tabbing to msn, with downloads in the background and sometimes an anti-virus kicks in too (very annoying as you probably know)).

I am planning on overclocking so do I need to worry about getting a CPU fan or something like that, or is the stock cooling on the case/with the card/cpu ok for a "little" overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom