PSU FOR 7900gs

Status
Not open for further replies.

fr34ky

!!GAMER!!
Hola people havent been around here in ages. I just rember myself and everybody else helping each other out with there problems so i knew id come here.So anyways I built a pc about a year ago for my brother. It has a 40gb HDD,dvd+burner 3 sticks of ram ,AMD3200+.He had a 7600gs OCed and it was decent for how i thought it was gonna do.But anyways that got screwed up when he moved becuase his iceberq5 cooler wasnt on and it jiggled against GPU for atleast 6 hours and it doesnt put any video out of it even tho pc sounds like normal boot up.He has a Coolmax 400watt PSU which is cruddy but he cant afford too get a new PSU so will a 7900gs run on this PSU.Also iam confused if not this has 2 12v rails. Check this out there is 2 of the same PSU's but they have differant ratings:
Theres this one that looks like his but have differant ratings:
Newegg.com - COOLMAX CX-400B ATX v2.01 400W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV, CE - Retail
Then this one is identical to the ratings that i read on mine:
Coolmax CX-400B 400-Watt ATX 120mm Fan SATA-Ready Power Supply at TigerDirect.com
Iam almost sure thats a 2 12v rail PSU but iam confused also will the above one run a 7900gs

Yes...that PSU is enough to run a 7900GS. The minimum for a 7900GS is a 350W, with an amp rating of 20A. While the one you have, according to tigerdirect, is 29A.

yea he gonna have to wait till his birthday or mow my lawn a few times till i give him this antec true power 2.0 i got laying in my closet.

Okay we got 7900gs and guess what? no post.The problem is Iam at other house in another state off for vacation in Lake Havasu,AZ. My little bro is in California. Anyways it boots fine without 7900gs in and you here HDD wine up and everything is fine but you cant see anything obviously. But when we pop in 7900gs it just turns on(lights,fans,HDD,DVD) but its odd no activity out of like the LOCK keys which usaully blink at boot And you gotta flick switch on psu to turn it off case switch dont work.Idk about PSU its a cruddy company but the ratings on the side tell that its has dual 12v's #1 14amp & #2 15amps.Could ratings sticker on side be wrong? Or could this be bad GPU. I LOL dont know signs of low power on PSU never had problem. lil bro was so stoked about getting his card and no work but ive had that problem many times lol but aleast neweggs kicks booty.

well, in your first post, i didnt l;ook art the other two power supplies you had linked.
i just did, and the one you said was exactly like yours has no 6 pin pcie power plug.
does the one in your current computer have a plug that fits into the back of the 7900gs?

yea the adapter that the card came with.LoL wat else would you put in the pcix16 power slot.But he wants to get a PSU now and only got $50 shipped to spend.iam looking at

Thermaltake Litpower:
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Litpower W0162RU ATX12V Ver2.2 400W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CUL, CE, NEMKO, TUV+CB, BSMI, FCC certification - Retail
Coolmax:
Newegg.com - COOLMAX M-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV, FCC - Retail
Aspire:
Newegg.com - APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV, CE - Retail
OR if you know of any better ones?

yea the adapter that the card came with.LoL wat else would you put in the pcix16 power slot.But he wants to get a PSU now and only got $50 shipped to spend.iam looking at

Thermaltake Litpower:
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Litpower W0162RU ATX12V Ver2.2 400W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CUL, CE, NEMKO, TUV+CB, BSMI, FCC certification - Retail
Coolmax:
Newegg.com - COOLMAX M-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV, FCC - Retail
Newegg.com - COOLMAX CR-450B ATX 450W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, FCC, TUV - Retail
OR if you know of any better ones?

give him your extra one? 0_0

families are great...

I'd go with a nice OCZ 600 WATT stealth or something of the sort, great cooling for a cheaper PSU with shielded cabes (sleeved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom