Active X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truestar

Beta member
Hello,

Recently our computer these past few months has slowly been dieing. Its a brand new $2,000 piece of metal so we don't plan on letting it finish itself off.

My dad and I want to tackle this computer and fix its major problems, some we can't identify, some we can.

My first issue is two windows that pop up everytime I log in. Here's a screenshot I took:

activexprob.png

Can anyone explain what these problems mean? And how can we fix them?

Any bit of advice is greatly appreciated. :happy:

Truestar,

Tell us what OS you are running and what is your maintenance program?

What Antivirus software and Antispyware do you have to maintain your system?

Your Windows Updates are not up to date either, go to Windows Updates and download the latest updates.

It seems like xp to me. What file are you trying to open? Active X content is generally for websites with script. The worst that can happen is to format your pc, HW damage can't occur this way.

Windows XP Media Center, McAfee Security Center is our Anti Virus.

Formatting the Hard Drive is our last option, I hope their are other solutions.

A friend of mine does some code work, he had me test out some file. Told me to add this code to a Bat file to get rid of it:

Code:
del "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\sservices.exe"
del "C:\WINDOWS\ .exe"

Except I don't know what program I need to edit Bat files.

This is the last time I fiddle with his crap. :freak:

Windows XP Media Center, McAfee Security Center is our Anti Virus.

Formatting the Hard Drive is our last option, I hope their are other solutions.

A friend of mine does some code work, he had me test out some file. Told me to add this code to a Bat file to get rid of it:

Code:
del "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\sservices.exe"

Except I don't know what program I need to edit Bat files.

This is the last time I fiddle with his crap. :freak:

notepad.

try opening that file with IE

why are you trying to open it?

Hello, the last attrib of the batch file does not even use a wildcard, probably your friend made a bug or sth, additionally, even if you correct that it won't work as those files are in use and you can't delete them. Anyway Open Notepad paste them and save it as a batch file (*.bat), then run it. The best thing you could do is to tell us what are application are you trying to run, and reinstall it or remove it. Try a registry clean with Tune Up 2007 and a 1-click maintnance, also with the same. Also check your startup entries and post them here.

I just got to making a batch file and was able to stop the bottom smaller window from popping up. I only deleted two files and my friend said there's 3 or 4, so hopefully thats the fix. I'll ask him when he gets home and update after. :)

Thanks for the help so far guys and gals. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom