Computer Shuts Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlucool

Baseband Member
I have been using this computer for 2+ months.

Today I had windows xp then I went to go do something. And I come back and my computer is off. I try and turn it on, it gets through the bios, and says loading grub then shuts off (it does not always get this far).

What could it be? How can I test what the problem is (I put in ultimate boot disk and it wont even get far enough to load that) ? Also I do not have extra parts or another computer to test switching out parts.

Computer specs:
Intel quad core
MSI mobo
OCZ ram (2gb)
evga 7600gtx
HD - western digital raptor

sorry I forgot that:
CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply

I would think it was a psu but it does go on for a little :/

So I think something is overheating. I let my computer cool for a few hours then tried again and it lasted much longer before turning off. How to I test what is overheating and what it could be?

I will try that, and yes all the fans are running.

Could it be my heatsync? (I have the factory one installed)

Make sure the heatsink hasnt come loose at one of the poles. I know my e6600 was a giant PITA to get on while my quad heatsink wasnt. So there is some variance in how the stock itnel heatsinks fit. If even one of the 4 posts that holds it down came loose it could easily be overheating the cpu.

I have found the problem. It was the heatsync. I have even made sure it was in and I quickly went to bios and saw my temp was 84 and climbing.....I am just going to buy a new heatsync and paste.

should i replace the heatsync and paste? I have heard bad things about the stock one but this happening all of a sudden is ridiculous.

The stock heatsink does its job at stock speeds if its properly mounted, but once you start overclocking you will find it usually doesnt hold up to the heat output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom