Will somebody on 56K suggest a good modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
Unfortunately I live in the boonies and can't get cable or DSL, and satellite is way too expensive. So I'm stuck with 56K. When I built this computer, the first modem I tried was an Intel 56K PCI, worked for five days, then quit. Then I tried a Creative Broadxent internal modem, only connected at 19.2Kbps, and I can't deal with that. Next, I tried a U.S. Robitics PCI Winternal 56K modem, in which the driver shut down roughly after about 15 minutes of being online. I updated the driver and the modem never worked again. Basically, I am tired of getting crap. Now I am stuck on my spare Lucent Win Modem. Can somebody please suggest a 56K modem that actually works. I've heard that external modems are much better than internal PCI ones. It that true? Thanks for any replies in advance.

meh, external is ok but pci is better, i think. I would have suggested US Robotics...i had one that was really good although i forgot the stupid name...sorry man

come on man the externals are the best get a usrobotics messege modem..!! i think its the best... i have a pci usrobotics and it works well ....

Mines an Ambient HaM Fax modem. Had no problems with it - just the driver has to be installed via system properties as the setup program won't find the comm port. I usually get 49,333 bps on it, and for some reason I managed to get nearly double that once, which doesn't make any sense - not that it was any faster than 49,333 anyway.

i used a modem from a 1 year old sony viao computer its consistan at 48000-49333 im used to 40000-45333 . I was quite surprised :) .

External is the best and of course most expensive. It has it's own controller and won't have to rely on your system's CPU to run it. Overall, I think that I had better throughput with an external modem.

stay away from winmodems. use a hardware driven one instead, better all around constant speed

I got a US Robotics USB modem, and it seems to be working fine. It will have to do until I get satellite after I pay off my car, which will be in about a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom