Criticize my workstation build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiliPalmer

Baseband Member
Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro LGA 775

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz

RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR2-800 (2 x 2GB)

Case: Antec P182

Power Supply: Seasonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT ATX12V / EPS12V 80 Plus 2PCE-E (6 pin) 650W

Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor SATA 10,000 RPM 150GB

Video Card: PNY Nvidia Quadro NVS 440 Quad Display PCI-E

Video Card #2: PNY Nvidia Quadro NVS 440 Quad Display PCI-E

Sound Card TBD

CD ROM 1: Asus 18x DVD-RW (Lightscribe)

CD ROM 2: Asus 16x DVD-ROM

Areas where I still have questions:

1. Keep the three 120mm fans that come standard in the Antec P182 case, or swap them out for something else.

2. Since I have two graphics cards, do I need a motherboard that has SLI or do I just need two PCIe slots? Those are 2-D cards, not gaming cards.

3. 32 bit or 64 bit OS? When using a 64 bit OS, is it just hardware drivers you need to be concerned or could there be application conflicts as well?

So you all know, I'm having someone help me do this. I've asked him the same questions, but I'm asking as many people as possible.

Sorry. Maybe a little background would help.

This is being used for a financial trading applications. I'll have six LCD's. I'll also have a multitude of spreadsheets, all of which will be receiving data and calculating in real-time, open during the day.

Sorry. Maybe a little background would help.

This is being used for a financial trading applications. I'll have six LCD's. I'll also have a multitude of spreadsheets, all of which will be receiving data and calculating in real-time, open during the day.

yeah okay that sounds fine, but i dont know how your getting 6 LCDs one 2 Gfx cards. are you going to use a splitter cable on one of them?

okay thats a pretty good build for what you want then. though, if you decide to use a 32-bit Operating system you will only get about 3.5GB (reportedly) out of the 4GB ram, so maybe it would be advisable to choose a 64-bit OS which DOES support that amount of ram. you would benefit from it, judging by your work, but check that the apps your going to be running have 64-bit versions or are compatible with 64-bit operating systems. also check your hardware to make sure they Also support 64-bit processing.

Just like what murdo said, check for driver support for your hardware. Namely your graphics cards. Make sure you can find 64-bit drivers from Nvidia for them.

Thoes case fans should be fine. Although with running a quad core proc and 2x of those monster graphics cards, and it being underload a good amout of the time, I'd look for a case with more 120mm fans, especially if those video cards use passive-cooling.

Also, I'm not sure about the SLI question. Since they're not for 3-D gaming, you don't need them to act as one card, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone on here knows.

Also, if you're going to be reading and writting a good amount of data in large chunks, like multiple gigs of files, I'd suggest setting up a RAID away. Maybe a RAID-4 or 5, for performance and back-up.

please don't get the raptor.
10k rpm, yeah.. but only 150gig.
you can easily get 2x 320gig's (640 gigs) for less $$ than one 150 gig raptor.

Only 150? 150 if fine for a system drive. You get bigger drives for slave drives. That's the idea.

The 150gig raptor is darn fast.

good luck trying to get any operating system to recognize a 6lcd spread, even on 2 gpus.....ppl have trouble with 3 let alone 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom