Q6600 OC. Which to believe for temps? SpeedFan or CoreTemp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
I had my proc OC'ed for awhile then I decided to turn it down a notch.

I decided to OC her again, I got it to 3.0ghz, stable on idle, with my memory at the stock 800mhz, but at 5-5-515 timings.

CoreTemp reads-

Core 0-59
Core 1-54
Core 2-50
Core 3-54

SpeedFan Reads-

Core 0- 37
Core 1 -36
Core 2 -34
Core 3 -37

The Vcore is running at 1.3

I installed Everest Home Edition, ran a report, and it said the CPU is running at only 25!

Before, I had this at the same clock speed, and I ran stress test on it, and SpeedFan never showed it going above 59 at the most.

If CoreTemp is right, then I **** near burned out my CPU.

I have a Thermaltake V1 heatsink, the thing's a monster and it moves alot of air, so I know it's not a cooling issue, and I used good thermal paste and applied it properly, so i know it's not that on.

On another note, before I had the V1 I was running the stock heatsink, and when that was on, it was reading that it was hot as it was, i'n the mid to upper 40's on idle.

I know it's not ambient temps. My room is a bit warm right now, but not enough to make it run that hot. Also, the case has find cooling, 2x120mm fans, currently the side of the case is open, and when it's closed, theirs a vent on the case panel that air blows out of for the heatsink, and the rear fan is exhaust, so I know the heats getting out.

Could it be the sensors on the motherboard is shotty? People have their Q6600's with B3 stepping running at 3.0ghz all day long and they don't have any heat complaints, so what's the deal with mine?

I would agree with pdawg.
Everest is not very accurate.
I was using it for my cpu temps and gfx card.
Once i got ati tool or nvmonitor, i found out everest was WAY OFF.

The bios is the best, i've noticed that ntune's nv monitor is really accurate too.

It takes 1.3V for you to get stable at 3.0? Coretemp is correct about 99% of the time compared to speedfan. I'm able to run stable at 3.2 on my g0 quad at 1.2V. I actually turned everything back down to stock speeds last night and undervolted to 1.175 volts and am still running stable.

I know that BIOS is the most accurate for idle temp readings. But it's for just that, idle readings. I wanted to run a software temp monitor for when I'm playing a game or it's under load, to see how hot it gets.

Anyway, it looksl like both programs were wrong. I restarteded it, got into BIOS, and the idle went from 39 up to 44 before it stopped going up, that's after about 15minutes.

So it looks like both programs were wrong. 44 still seems rather high to me for an idle. The room was rather warmer then usual, but I think I might step it down a bit. I wouldn't want under load temps going above 55 to 60. I know people run their quad's at hotter then that, it just seems a bit warm to me.

Oh, and I have B3 stepping.

I should also add, I set the Vcore to Auto, CPU-Z is what told me it's running at 1.3. I might try bumping the Vcore down a a tiny bit.

Blah, 55- 60 is so incredibly fine to be at. Don't be afraid of that temp. I ran coretemp while stressing and I bet it was pretty accurate. The temps it gave me seemed in line with what most users had with a similair OC to mine.

B3's are supposed to stay under 62? while i think g0's can get as hot as 71 without problems. Dont use auto settings for voltage because the motherboard will always use too much voltage.

Alright.

I think I'll set the Vcore to 1.25,1.27, or 1.3

Pdawg- I know 55-60 is fine to be at, but at Idle? I can understand that at under load, but anything above 50 at idle seems high to me?

It just seems like, it was running nice and cool at stock speeds, the Vcore shouldnt need to be bumped up that high for a 25% OC.

So I just got back from my lunch.

I ran home, booted up the computer, ran two ortho's and i got the BSOD, sweet.

I'm not getting any consistancies with my overclocks, I've ran it at 3.0ghz with the mem @ stock 800mhz just fine before, i swear.

I think I'm going to have to lower my memory mhz a bit. It's really not a big deal, since games tend to favor higher cpu clock speeds then higher memory speeds, I wouldn't really see a performance hit running my memory a little slower.

I think i'm just going to sell my OCZ Platinum 2 gigs, and buy the dominator stuff. It's a bit more, but more then worth it.

I'm thinking I could sell my memory for around what, 70-80 or so.

I just want my rig to perform it's best for upcoming games (Quake Wars and Crysis!).

I know the rest of my system is more the capable of running good overclocks, ASUS P5N-E mobo w/ Q6600 and a Enermax Liberty PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom