Updating BIOS Q!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavenderAC

In Runtime
I am trying to update the BIOS of my new built computer. The problem is I don't have a floppy drive installed. Is there anyway to update it without using the floppy drive? Thanks

You could do it from if you can make a bootable CD rom, but I think you need a boot disk with e cd rom drivers anyway. Do any BIOS have generic cd rom drivers in them?

I suppose creating a virtual ram drive from windows might work - I think they survive reboots. Haven't got a clue how to do it though, not directly from windows anyway, only automatically from a windows boot disk. There must be a guide somewhere about make a ram drive somewhere abouts on the net.

If it's a new build with a new motherboard you may not need a floppy. I upgraded my bios using a utility from my system's web site. It started up from windows xp. Of course it did a reboot and went from there but I never had to use a floppy. Of course that could be because Shuttle's don't come with a floppy anyway.

you maybe able to do it with a thumb/usb drive. check to see if you have an option in bios or by jumper for allow usb boot.

Cogwork said:
You could do it from if you can make a bootable CD rom, but I think you need a boot disk with e cd rom drivers anyway. Do any BIOS have generic cd rom drivers in them?

That is one BIG common misperception. The BIOS does not contain any drivers, and it certainly doesn't contain enough space for a color VGA monitor driver. It doesn't have to be from the floppy as long as your PC can boot from the CD-ROM. Although it can be done, I defintiely would prefer flashing a BIOS from a floppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom