Need major geek help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdygeek

In Runtime
Ok guys my dad is getting extremely frustrated with his workstation. His specs are a dell precission 670 workstation with two intel Xeon 3ghz procs, irwindale architechture, and he has 6gb of ram but only 4 are accesible and windows XP 32 bit. He runs against the 2gb excel 2007 barrier when running his spreadsheets, and his operating only system only allows him to use 4gb of ram. Oh and the computer recognizes the procS as 4 individual 1.5ghz so when it runs at max it will only run at 25% and it takes 30 min to load and run some of his spreadsheets. My question is, will upgrading to 64 bit software help? and if so which should he get? Otherwise what else is there to do?

yes upgrading to 64-bit would help because he would be able to access 3 gb more RAM, and i don't know what to do about the xeons...

Updgrade to 64 bit to utilize up to 8GB of ram on windows xp, pro 64 bit i think is up to 16gb

there is a way to get past the 2gb barrier...lemme look around and i will find it. or better yet, google it...there is a file directory or something that you change....lol its a little more complicated than that and there are several steps but it didnt seem too hard...
let me know if you dont find anything.

if they are dual core xeons, are u sure its not stating how many cores there are. eg 4x1.5GHz which would be saying there is 4 cores each running at 1.5GHz. but even so they should be a 3. you cant really change anything in the bios so i would rec. getting dell to replace since its stupid only having 32 bit.

download a program called cpu-z and take a screenie and post it up on here so we can see what going on.

as far as gaming goes, there isn't an improvement on systems with 4gb ram in windows xp 64 bit, of course I know that your not gaming though....

Vista basic or premium 64 bit editions IMO would be a good choice for you though since they do support 4 gb ram or more, and much better support for multi-core cpu's than xp.

He has two single core 3.06GHz with hyper-threading. That is why when he pulls up the task manager it shows four separate cores and when he runs his spreadsheets it will only use one of them therefore running at 1.5ghz and the problem is he needs processing power because he is running millions of iterations a second, and he wants it to take advantage of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom