upgrade on GPU, CPU, PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

kur0suto

Baseband Member
hey guys. i was actually planing on upgrading my comp. later due to the rumored 9 serie with geforce but then, maybe i shud just &^#@ it and do and it. I'm prob just gonna get the 8800GTS but dont know if i shud get the 320MB and 640MB. I know many people say theres not much of a difference but im planning using my 32" Abrevia HDTV as my monitor to play games, watch movies, etc. the price diff is also like 30 bucks. 270 vs 310.
Any suggestions for PSU? i heard people say the corsair 520W might not be enough...
as for my CPU, i was planning on waitin til the new CPUs come out..so any suggestions? wait or no wait? right now, my current comp. isnt so bad but its just my video card being outdated, X800 PRO Radeon.
currently using TT Tsunami and Coolermaster Liquid Cooling. Planning on selling that crap and get a tuniq tower or Newegg.com - Thermaltake CL-P0401 110mm Full-Range Fan CPU Cooler - Retail

one thing tho, my room is VERY WARM! and it makes me feel as if my case isnt good enough or something. i would get TT Armor...but i dont really like the front. my room is also VERY DUSTY! the NZXT full tower looks pretty good as well.

for anyone who actually read all this, any suggestions?

What is your current system?

Dusty room= get a computer with dust filter.
hot room = get full tower with good cooling

Coolermaster stacker 830-832 are the best cases given those considerations, but also waaay expensive.

EDIT: Why change the case, I hear the Tsunami is really good!

ThermalTake Tsunami Mid tower
Asus P5B Deluxe w/ wifi (ati crossfire compat.)
intel P4 3.0ghz Prescott
Coolermaster liquid cooling (poland spring)
2 Gig Ram Corsaid XMS2 800
Sapphire X800Pro Radeon 256MB
1xWD 250G HDD, 1X Samsung T-point 400G HDD
1XSamsung lightscribe DVD-RW
1XToshiba DVD-RW
Abravia 550W PSU

Go with the 320MB. A 32" TV, has a low resolution. I'm assuming 1366 x 768. And the 320MB will own games, with that resolution.

The Corsair 520HX is more than enough power, for a high end system. It's only $100 at buy.com. But if you want more power, for future upgrades, than I would suggest the PC Power PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W, at zipzoomfly.com.

Aside from the GPU being outdated, your CPU is very outdated itself. If you get that 8800GTS, there will be a pretty large bottleneck, which isn't good. So maybe get a cheap C2D to hold you over. Like the E4400, E6320, or E6550.

I haven't heard anything bad about the Tsunami, so you should be ok with that. If you want more airflow though, the Antec 900 is great airflow case. Get the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro instead of that Thermaltake cooler. It's cheaper, and is much more better at cooling.

i actually was gonan wait til the new quads to come out then change CPU...i've never really seen the quads or C2D in action...so i dont know if their diff is that high but one thing i know is, i like to do a lot of multi tasking in the comps, convertings vids, music, firefox, aim, games, word proc, excel, powerpoint, etc. and i dont thin i would wanna upgrade for like at least 2 years.

8800GTS 320MB is good enough to play crysis tho? if anything, ill prob jus get the G0 stepping Q6600 sinc emy damned mobo cant support 1333FSB...
tuniq tower not necessary? Budget can be altered.

If you're going for the Q6600, the Tuniq would be highly recommended, if you plan on overclocking.

The 8800GTS 320MB is enough to play Crysis. You can max it out, on that low resolution, of your 32" TV...along with the Q6600.

Even if you haven't seen a C2D or C2Q in action, it's like comparing night and day, with the P4.

The Q6600 will last you for a long time, before you need to upgrade.

If you are going with the Q6600, you might want to think about the Tuniq over the Arctic, but obviously there is a reasonable price difference. Certainly if you are doing a lot of multitasking, the Q6600 is a good choice.

As for the 320Mb 8800GTS, my understanding of reviews, is that it can take pretty much any game out there at the moment, certainly below 1600x1200, but if want to be running brand new games at max settings and resolutions in 6 months or a years time, you should get the GTX. The same could be said for the 640Mb, which is why people here say its not worth even the extra $30.

I highly doubt a 320mb 8800GTS will max out Crysis...

You're right, but 'max out' includes running at max resolution. I have heard that the card can hold its own against just about anything at lower resolutions. The difference between the cards seems to kick in only at higher resolutions. If you are going to spend extra for the 640, it would be preferable to spend even more and get a GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom