First time poster/computer builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariste

Solid State Member
Hey everyone. This is my first time posting here, and after endless suggesting from tech gurus everywhere, I've finally decided to take the plunge and attempt to build my own gaming PC. However, this being my first time, I'm sure that there are some things that I could improve upon/need more of/completely screwed up, so I would really appreciate any advice that you guys could give me. Here's what I have planned so far:

Case/PSU

Thermaltake XaserV Gaming Tower WinGo Full-Tower Case + Antec 550W Power Supply w/ 2 Fans

-$188.00 total

Motherboard
Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 w/ nForce3 Ultra Chipset, Socket 939

-$232.00

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2.2GHz/512KB L2 Cache

-$498.00

Hard Drives
2 36.7GB Western Digital Raptors (RAID-0 format)

-$226.00 total

GPU
EVGA GeForce 6800GT w/ 256MB GDDR3

-$435.00

RAM
1GB (512MBx2) Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series DDR PC3200 (Twin Pack)

-$253.00

DVD/Floppy Drives
NEC 8x Dual Layer DVD +/- RW Drive + Sony 1.44MB 3.5 Inch Floppy Drive

-$96.98 total

Monitor/Speakers
ViewSonic G90FB 19" PerfectFlat CRT Monitor + Logitech X-620 6.1 Speakers

-$268.00 total

Keyboard/Mouse
Logitech Cordless MX Duo

-$75.00

OS
Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack SP1a

-$141.00

Total- 2437.73

That's what I have planned so far. The difference between the sum of the components I have listed and the total is due to wires and case lighting etc. As I said before, this is my first time, so I'm sure that there is room for improvement in this setup and I would really appreciate any advice that you guys have. Thanks,

That looks freakin awesome, way to go, but one quick question. Do you plan on having very many games because your HD is kinda on the small side, but maybe it is just me.

I suggest 2 of these instead:Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM

you put 512MB L2 Cache on the line where you put your proc. specs. it will be a great day when we get to the level of cache, but well all know what you mean

No, I don't plan on having that many games. EQ2 mainly, maybe a few others. The reason I am going with the 2 36.7's is because I have an 80GB HD currently and I'm nowhere near full. And if worst comes to worst, I can always add another 80GB slave drive in there if I need.

you put 512MB L2 Cache on the line where you put your proc. specs. it will be a great day when we get to the level of cache, but well all know what you mean

Haha, yeah, you know what I mean :) I'll edit the typo to clear that up.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

All looks good. I would suggest just get an optical mouse and a keyboard instead of the cordless one since you will be playing games mostly. Cordless = heavy and lag

looks great

i got basically the same things for 1400 but without the moniter/speakers/accesories

and a socket 754 instead of the 939

if you wait a couple months the 939 will probably drop significantly in price :)

Yep, I plan on waiting until October/November. Hopefully the 6800 and the Socket 939 will drop a hundred bucks or so. Thanks for the advice :)

is EQ2 DirectX based or OpenGL based, because if it is OpenGL based you might wanna get a ATI because they have better OpenGL support than nVidia.

EDIT: 6800 GT and the X800 PRO are basically the same price so it will be all good no matter what

And that 939 board is gonna be so sweet, because you know like in a couple years that mobo will still be good, because from what I understand that will become AMD's new standard and everything and it will be a snap to upgrade processors(if you want to of course)

St8lazy: Yep, that's why I got the Socket 939 Mobo. So I can have some room for upgrading down the road.

mrzeeedler: Good idea. I will definitely be upgrading to that monitor.

Thanks for the advice.

im sorry if im blind but i dont see a cd drive in there and if ur gonna play games u have to load em right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom