Windows 'accessing' SATA drives before boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

koosie

Beta member
Hi All

Not sure if this is the right place, I'm sorry if its not!

Right, I've got a box running Windows Server 2003. Here is the spec:

2.8Ghz Celeron
1GB RAM
40GB IDE (Boot Drive)
400GB & 500GB SATA Drives (set up as spanned dynamic volumes)

The other day, we had a power cut, the box automatically reboots after a failure, but I couldn't access it remotely (box is in basement with just power and LAN, everything is done via RDP) So I hooked a monitor up and it said 'disk error' and wouldn't boot. So I tried the IDE drive in other PCs and it was broke. So I put another 40GB in the box, did a fresh install of WIndows Server 2003. Now though if I plug the SATA drives back onto the motherboard (unplugged them during OS setup) after POST, the box hangs at a black screen for ages, but then does eventually boot. When in Windows I import the SATA volumes and they work fine, all the data is still there and read and write are fine. But when I reboot, after post it takes 5 hours to get to logon, everytime. But if I unplug the SATAs, it boots in under a minute. It seems to be scanning the SATAs but I have no idea why it is doing this. Everything in the BIOS is as it was, the IDE is set to be the boot drive, SMART status of the drives is fine. Does anyone know why this is happening? Are the SATA drives on their way out? Or an I missing something obvious?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

If any extra information is required just ask

Thankyou

K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom