Popping sounds coming from onboard ASUS Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmaddogfreak

In Runtime
I have a fairly new ASUS M2N-SLI Mobo with built in HD audio. When I had Vista installed, the audio worked great, then I downgraded to XP, installing the drivers for that particular device from the disk that came with the mobo from ASUS. The program installed is PowerMax. When I restarted the computer, i kept hearing random popping noises coming from the speakers. I adjusted the levels thinking maybe for some reason the sound was too loud, but to no avail. I changed from the analog output to the digital optical output on the mobo and still have the same problem. The popping sound comes in random times, but still has a pattern of "popping" every second. When there is no audio playing, there is absolutly no interfence or popping sound. Any ideas?

I had this same problem but cant remember the exact fix. I know you need the full Audio player program installed and after you get all the options showing there are two tabs on the left side I believe the mic and something else you need to mute these two and the popping will stop. Wish I could be more specific but cant. Go To the ASUS Forum board and you ll find the fix there.

i tried messing with muting everything other than the wave part of the volume control, even got rid of the port detection, nothing helped. I tried uninstalling soundmax and just having AC'97 take over, but to no avail. If you could remember exactly how to make that popping noise stop, or if anyone else knows how, please let me know. I just dont understand why it was no problem with Vista, but as soon as I go to XP, it starts popping. And to anyone who is reaidng this for the first time, it is NOT because the audio is too loud, nor is it my speakers. Wen the volume reaches a certain level, i hear a popping noise in 1 second intervals. It's somethign to do with the hardware. Maybe disconnecting my front audio ports from the mobo.... anyone thing that might help?

Windows XP: Open volume control>Options>properties>show "PC Speaker" control> go and mute the PC speaker.

You know, i reinstalled windows XP, and no more popping noise. Also, try going into the BIOS and changing the front audio ports from HD to AC'97

do you have a "Spread Spectrum" option in your BIOS for your CPU? If so you may want to enable that and put it at +/-5% or better (I use +/- 1%).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom