Graphing calculator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd get a TI-84. I just got a TI-84 Silver Edition and it's great, does everything I need it to and even does things I've never learned yet. The TI-89 might not be a bad idea since it will probably get you through higher math courses, but the TI-84 might be able to last just as long.

there really isn't much of a difference between the 84 and 84+. The plus just has games preinstalled on it. But if you plan on doing lots of higher math courses then you might as well get the 89 now and save oodles of cash.

I'm pretty sure there is no non-plus 84, just the 84+ and 84+ Silver Edition. I ended up getting the TI-84+ SE. Our school doesn't allow TI-89 calculators, at least of all the classes I know of. Pre-Calc, CP Algebra II & III don't allow it, maybe some of the Calculus courses except Pre might use it. My current math teacher says the TI-89 is not user-friendly like the 84, although I doubt that is the case.

I will say the sig fig calculator is great for my Physics class.

TI-89

as long as your teacher doesnt catch you with it you'll be ok. and most of my college math classes are all online homework so you dont need to show work there. it makes life alot easier on me.

The main problem that schools have with the TI-89 is that it can output non-numeric answers such as variables, which can make problems very easy. Nothing wrong with getting the 84+. Works for everything your going to need in high school and probably some college, and if you really need a calculator for some heavy algebra problems you could just use this:

TI-89 Emulator

You could use Zoom Algebra which does a lot of the algebra work the 89 does but they want you to pay for it. Have yet to find a substitute for it or a free *cough* version to download. Then again it isn't perfect itself, and some call it incomplete. I don't really care though, as I can do most of those kind of problems easily by myself.

When I went through highschool, I had a TI 83 calculator. It was great and did everything I wanted to do. And trust me, I did a lot of math :)..

Obviously the TI 89 will be better than the TI 84 in terms of functionality. The cost is not really that different either.

So what you "should" be paying attention to is whether you can use the said calculator in various tests - such as the ACT tests. I saw in the reviews section that the TI 89 "cannot" be used in the ACT test. The TI 84 might be, check it out.

I remember writing a math contest in high school (I can't remember which one now) which allowed the TI 83, but not the TI 92, b/c of the extra features it had.

So,
1) Check whether the two calculators are allowed in various standardized tests - both in school and run by ministry/government/universities, etc.
I have a feeling TI 84 should be ok for sure.
2) Then worry about the price and functionality. :)

When I went through highschool, I had a TI 83 calculator. It was great and did everything I wanted to do. And trust me, I did a lot of math :)..

Obviously the TI 89 will be better than the TI 84 in terms of functionality. The cost is not really that different either.

So what you "should" be paying attention to is whether you can use the said calculator in various tests - such as the ACT tests. I saw in the reviews section that the TI 89 "cannot" be used in the ACT test. The TI 84 might be, check it out.

I remember writing a math contest in high school (I can't remember which one now) which allowed the TI 83, but not the TI 92, b/c of the extra features it had.

So,
1) Check whether the two calculators are allowed in various standardized tests - both in school and run by ministry/government/universities, etc.
I have a feeling TI 84 should be ok for sure.
2) Then worry about the price and functionality. :)

The 84 is ok on all standardized tests where they allow a graphing calculator. The 89 is ok on the SAT tests and the AP Calc tests.

Don't get a TI-89. They're a lot harder/different to use than the 84s and teachers won't know how to help you. It's a ton more powerful, but you can just swap it later on. And as for the SATs, nothing on the test will require more than a simple calc. All the problems there can be done with no calc, but it's slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom