System 32 is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMassacre

In Runtime
A friend of mine told me today that his computer is no longer operating. Not correctly anyway. Apparently it says that system 32 is missing. He said he reinstalled the OS (which is Win98) but he's still getting that problem. So how would this problem be fixed? Reformatting the hard drive?

Yes when he goes to install Win 98 tell him to format. Not the quick method either.

Also might want to suggest upgrading as Win 98 is no longer supported and is no longer gonna get any updates. So all the latest hacks again Windows that affect older versions like that will still work. No protection against them. Not even from M$.

I had that exact same problem upgrading 98 to xp on my old comp all I had 2 do was format and clean install xp and it worked like a charm.

Alright, thanks. I'm going to format it for him since he's not very tech savvy. I can remember formatting my drive but it didn't take too long so it must've been the quick version. Mind linking me to the long one?

There isnt a link. There should be the option when you setup to either do a Format (Quick) or format. Just like that. Choose the format. Depending on the size of the drive is how long it shall take. A 20GB hard drive should not take long. But since it is 98 it wont recognize anything more than 32GB or 1230GB depending on his BIOS, and version of 98.

I dont remember the exact setup method of 98 as i havent used it in like 6-7 years. But that should be how it is done. If not you can always go to bootdisc.com and downlaod a 98 setup disc and use the dos prompt from the fdisk command to format.

Ah that's what you meant. I understand now. I thought you meant there was a longer method to formatting drives than the way I did it. Probably is, then again I could've used the long version. Should have anyway. I can't remember, it's been about three years since I last did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom