Clicking sound from computer (only from a cold boot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advancedgeek

Daemon Poster
I think the problem is coming from the hard disk but the clicking noise is gone after it's on about 5 mins and even if i shut down the computer and boot it up right after i shut down it won't have any clicking noise. It seems temperature of the hard disk or whatever that is clicking seems to be the problem. I'm wondering if this is a sign of my hard disk failing or is a problem from somewhere else.

It is a sign of hard disk failure. I suggest you backup your files to another hard disk or onto CDs/DVDs

i wouldnt say you have a problem San unless your HD is pretty old, HDs are meant t olast 500,000 hours (i think, i may be wrong) so you've probably got nothing to worry about

wait... why does the clicking sound only happen when my computer is turned on just when it was off for like 8 hours? I can even shut down the computer and leave it there for a min and the hard drive or whatever that is clicking is warm and won't make any clicking noise at all. It seems that it only happen when the whole computer is at room temperature. Isn't it usually a failing hard drive fails to boot only when it's hot? I heard people putting it into freezers and booting it up to back up data.

wait... why does the clicking sound only happen when my computer is turned on just when it was off for like 8 hours? I can even shut down the computer and leave it there for a min and the hard drive or whatever that is clicking is warm and won't make any clicking noise at all. It seems that it only happen when the whole computer is at room temperature. Isn't it usually a failing hard drive fails to boot only when it's hot? I heard people putting it into freezers and booting it up to back up data.

Like all hardware, there is a slight expansion in the parts and within the entire object when it heats up after being cold for some hours. It is actually better to leave your computer on than it is to turn it off.

Reguardless of your harddrives health, you should always have multiple back ups of any data you deem important..

i wouldnt say you have a problem San unless your HD is pretty old, HDs are meant t olast 500,000 hours (i think, i may be wrong) so you've probably got nothing to worry about

Even new hard disk would break down, 500000 hours means nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom