New Build...help =]

Status
Not open for further replies.

edbtzy

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

i built my first computer a couple of years ago so you can only imagine how out-dated my parts are. i was thinking of upgrading but i am unaware as to which parts...FIRST, here is my current setup (if i dont explain the parts in detail, i am sorry)

-Abit NF7-S Nforce 2 motherboard (Socket 939)
-AMD CPU - really dont remember all specs =/
-ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
-1GB RAM (forgot the manufact.)
-Thermal 300W Power Supply
-Aftermarket heatsink

given the fact that i am at a tight budget, i was thinking of replacing/upgrading my PSU / CPU and heatsink. i thought about all this when my computer started to run REALLY slow and my CPU was unreadable some how....i need help as to what you guys believe i should do. if i was to keep the MB, then what CPU could i get and a reliable/GOOD heatsink and fan to go with it. Also what is a good reliable PSU?

im scared to change my MB because then i think i will have to replace everything else...please somebody help lol i just want my computer to get back up and running smoothly. i am just confused as to which parts to replace and what new parts to replace them with...all opinons will be greatly appreciated...thank you

First of all, what are you trying to get out of this pc? basic operation or gaming? second since your mobo is socket 939 you must get a 939 slot proc no others will fit. You dont need an aftermarket cooler just use the stock on your new proc. what slot is your graphics card, agp, pci, or pci express? and ill leave the psu issue for someone else

the pc is going to be used for basic operations but also gaming (not HARDCORE gaming). the radeon 9600 PRO worked fine for the games i played...
i understand the CPU has to fit but was wondering if the MB i have now is good.
my graphics card is PCI

i'd say sell ur board, vid card and CPU, pick up an Opteron 165 (reuse RAM and case) reuse vid card if u want to, or get a 7900gs, get a 939 board and ur set :)

Well sorry to be the fairyman , but i had a PC like yours (intel) and its time to move up or your stuck in the AGP loop. Just save up money :)

There's nothing there I can really see you keeping. S939 is really outdated. It'd be nice to know your budget too. Here's what I recommend:

ASRock 4Coredual-SATAII ~$65 US ($80 CA)

A low-end Core 2 Duo processor; E2160 ~$85 $($100 CA) -or- E4400 ~$125 ($140)

*Maybe* a better, more stable PSU with more watts;

That's it, totals up to about $150 and you'll be on the upgrade path. You can use your 9600Pro, your DDR ram, your HDD(s), case, optical drive(s) and possibly your PSU. Whenever you have some cash, you can upgrade to DDR2 memory (the mobo supports both) and whenever you feel you want to upgrade that video card, the board will also support a PCI-E card.

There are limitations though, the board only supports up to PC2-5300 (667MHz) for memory and there's an FSB wall of about 300MHz if you want to overclock. Another thing is that the PCI-E x16 slot is connected via x4 bus, so high-end cards (such as an 8800GTX) won't run at full performance (Initially they wouldn't run at all, but a BIOS option fixes that). But high-end DX9 cards, such as a 7900GT or X1950XT should work fine.

However, I have to say that if you're going to buy a full setup of new parts, it should be now. Prices are dirt cheap for absolutely everything, but especially RAM. I'd really recommend building something from scratch, however, if you can't afford it, you always have the option I told you about in the last few paragraphs.

Good luck.

the mobo chipset is gettin pretty dusty but....
lol...s939 is by no means "outdated"....
the only real difference between s939 and am2 is the ram (ddr vs ddr2), and ddr2 is not that much (if really at all) faster with an AMD rig due to its higher latency.
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM
60 bucks.
Newegg.com - COOLMAX CXI-500B ATX12V 500W "SLI" Power Supply 115/230 V - Retail
60 bucks.
(some guys here can recommend a cheaper power supply...i use this one, and know it is solid, so i recommend it).
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
20 bucks.
supposedly the best hsf for the money.
if you dont want to buy a new video card, this will likely upgrade your current set up, depending on the cpu that you have now. likely it is a single core athlon.
so, you could get all three, or just the hsf and cpu...or just the cpu and psu...if you get the hsf you will be able to overclock a little more. but, i ma not familiar with that boards overclocking ability.

the mobo chipset is gettin pretty dusty but....
lol...s939 is by no means "outdated"....
the only real difference between s939 and am2 is the ram (ddr vs ddr2), and ddr2 is not that much (if really at all) faster with an AMD rig due to its higher latency.
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM
60 bucks.
Newegg.com - COOLMAX CXI-500B ATX12V 500W "SLI" Power Supply 115/230 V - Retail
60 bucks.
(some guys here can recommend a cheaper power supply...i use this one, and know it is solid, so i recommend it).
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
20 bucks.
supposedly the best hsf for the money.
if you dont want to buy a new video card, this will likely upgrade your current set up, depending on the cpu that you have now. likely it is a single core athlon.
so, you could get all three, or just the hsf and cpu...or just the cpu and psu...if you get the hsf you will be able to overclock a little more. but, i ma not familiar with that boards overclocking ability.

agreed n-dogg... 939 isn't outdated.. it still has dual-core.. and has the opteron 165 that can be overclocked to compete with some AM2's...

i appreciate it guys...i think im going to go with just replacing the CPU PSU and cpu cooler.....im going to be using the computer for everyday activity and some gameplay (counter-strike) ha so whoever is familiar with that game u guys know u dont need a diesel computer to run it smoothly...thanks again guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom