wireless internet speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
usually its only 33% slower, but mine, i think im getting 100% hehe but then again i never really tried plugging it to the router or modem using ethernet cable so I dont know what my actual speed would be if I did but 18mbps is good enough for me on wireless :D

Try changing the channel on the router, it sometimes happens with interference from other APs. I'm currently connected to a dLink wireless access point that has to go through at least two walls and a tree and i don't have a lot of problems (only on my laptop, but thats because my room is round and it's only an entry level laptop).

On second thought, being connected right next to it isn't always such a good idea, the signal might be so strong that it interferes with itself.

You guys do realize that the ISP speed is what determines your actual speed right?

The router may give you ports that say they go 100 MBPS but if you have an ISP that gives you 6 MBs you are NOT going to go faster than 6 MBps.

And, in the US, the average speed of any connection max will be about 10 MBPS, few companies go above this, so chances are you are not among them.

So, say you are loosing about 12 MBPS because of wireless and you only get 34 MBPS, then once you go onto the ISP servers you only get a max of whatever they give you (usually far below 30).

So complain all you want, it makes no difference.

18mbs would be crap for online games

18mb/s is crap for online games? do you realize that most users here dont even have anything higher than 10mb/s?

If you mean my local internet connection speed, thats 54mb/s cuz its wireless G but I have a wireless N router though it doesnt raise the speed since i have a Wireless G built in my mobo.

But here's my internet speed test.....

18mbs would be crap for online games

The problem isn't the speed but the lag. Most people don't have internet at 18Mbps and they play online. The problem with wireless networks is that it introduces some lag in the connection, specially in poor radio conditions.

18mb/s is crap for online games? do you realize that most users here dont even have anything higher than 10mb/s?

If you mean my local internet connection speed, thats 54mb/s cuz its wireless G but I have a wireless N router though it doesnt raise the speed since i have a Wireless G built in my mobo.

But here's my internet speed test.....

i meant the transfer from router to pc not the actual internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom