What are the chances>?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpixel

Daemon Poster
Basically, I figured if I want to run Vista super smooth, I will need 4GB of ram. Yet when I bought my computer, I had read so many bad thingsa bout Vista 64bit, and now that is what I need.

So I sent m$ this email saying the following. What do you think the chances are of me being able to get the 64bit disk?

"Hello, I purchased Microsoft Vista Home Premium 32bit, when building my new computer from a local computer supply store. I have soon realized what I really want/need is 64bit Vista Home Premium so I can have more than 2GB of ram/memory.

Is their anyway to upgrade to 64bit Vista Home Premium without having to pay the 100+ dollars for another copy of Vista Home Premium? I hope their is a way because I need to unlock Vista's potential with more ram, and to make it run smoother.

So is their anyway Microsoft can get me a copy of 64bit Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit, for free, or a minimal charge?

I do have the original invoice slip which states my purchase of Vista Home Premium, along with the Proof of Licensing certification of authenticity.

If so, I will provide pictures of both, along with the phone number to call the local company, to verify the purchase."

you do know that 64bit Windows has almost no software available for it. 32bit operating systems support up to 4GB of memory, its just up to the motherboard whether it will support it. 64bit can support way over 4GB but you are sacrificing your software

you do know that 64bit Windows has almost no software available for it. 32bit operating systems support up to 4GB of memory, its just up to the motherboard whether it will support it. 64bit can support way over 4GB but you are sacrificing your software

That what I thought. But recently, many members of the forums say they run their 32-bit programs just fine on their 64-bit system.

hmmmmm i got to look into that, but really anything over 3GB of ram, will give you diminishing returns on performance

Vista runs "super smooth" as you said for me on 2 gigs...the most its used at one time is like 55% of the RAM, unless I'm running a stress test on it.

Your saying Vista 32bit will run with 4GB of ram, plus video card memory?

Also none of you answered my question lol.

hmmmmm i got to look into that, but really anything over 3GB of ram, will give you diminishing returns on performance

I've heard the same thing, there's a point where the benefit starts dramatically decreasing when you go past 4 gigs o' ram, even to the point where performance starts to decrease. Don't ask me for the advanced technical science that explains why this happens though. :happy:

most users never utilize that much ram at once, unless your a hardcore video/photo person or you are a multitasking behemoth. You dont experience a boost in performance going from 2GB to 3GB as if you were going from 1GB to 2GB with regular daily tasks.

The way you can tell what your peak ram usuage is, is use your computer as you normally would for a couple of days, but without turning it off. Open the applications you'd normally open, and perform the tasks you'd normally perform.

jasondunn-ram-figure1.gif

This number represents, in kilobytes (KB), the highest amount of system RAM you used since last rebooting.

As for 64bit Windows...before you upgrade...make sure your computer has 64bit drivers available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom