Upgrade to Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud5437

In Runtime
Ok so I know there is lots of people saying stay away from vista or at least there was. Anyways I need to format my PC and cant find my XP cd anywhere so I was thinking I might upgrade to vista. I was wondering is there any problems I might face with my hardware or will it even run vista smoothly. I would only really be interested in Vista Ultimate as since I would be spending cash I might aswell get the full package. What do you guys think?

Hey I am running vista x64, it should run alright for you. 1GB ram might be a little small for vista though. I am running 2gb and the ram usage hovers around 50%. Vista uses the rest for cache (speeds up starting programs you use often).

I actually really enjoy using vista. Except for a few things (just the networking control panel section) it works perfectly. Even with the 64bit edition I only had to remove my 10 year old PCI ATI TV tuner due to lack of drivers.

If you want to be sure your computer runs fast, stick with XP (if you can find that disc).

There are ways you could test windows for 30 days before buying. If any of your friends have a vista cd just install it without a serial number (leave it blank) it will give you a 30 day trial of the OS. Then (provided you have installed the same version you wish to buy) you can simply buy the software, and plug in the key (activate it).

Good luck!

EDIT: I also just noticed, a 5700 nvidia card. I was running vista no problems (aero enabled) on a 128mb Geforce 5200.

I would say check the programs your normally want to run and/or any drivers you need to use for your system and make sure everthing is compatible with Vista, only reason I stayed away from it was cause I had hardware that did not yet have drivers for vista.

Your specs are also a little low. I would say run the Vista test to see if your PC is Vista ready (its on the microsoft website).

thanks people, i will get rid of my 2 sticks of 512 ram and get 2 1gb. see how it works out i guess :)

For me i will stay with XP, because vista need higher PC requirements and lots of software and games are not compatible with it.

I have been using Vista Ultimate for a while now. Didn't like it at the beginning but LOVE it now. I had to upgrade from 1GB to 2GB and haven't had any problems what so ever.

Ultimate had few extra stuff that you will find useful. I think you should look for your XP CD so you can do an upgrade instead of buying the full version. You will save yourself a lot of $$$

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom