picking a new monitor to pair with older graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
Probably a noob question here, but I have a Dell with an ATI 128mb X300 graphics card and I want to go from a 4:3 to a 16x9 monitor. I noticed on the ATI website (Radeon X300 Graphics Technology - GPU Specifications) that the only native widescreen resolutions it shows are 1920 x 1080 and 848 x 480. Will this mean sub par performance with a current "average" 1680 x 1050 widescreen monitor, or would it be OK?

i wouldnt get such a big monitor with that card, get a 19" instead, you wil get rubbish frame frates with that monitor, if you do get a big monitor upgrade you graphics card

I'm looking at either a 19 or 20 inch monitor....nothing huge, I just need the extra horizontal space.

My main question is will this card support the 1680 x 1050 max resolution of most monitors of this size? That rez isn't listed on the ATI site.

I supposed Powerstrip would solve that though, right? I think Radeon cards are compatible with custom resolutions?

it should do, i have the X550 which is slightly better card than yours, are yuo planning on gaming, if so deffinately go for the 19" as you will gain a better framerate, if your not gaming just go with the 20"

go for the 20", im sure your card will support the resolution, if not then you can buy another cheap card which will without spending over £45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom