Dual Core on Pure Crossfire2

Status
Not open for further replies.

touchstone

Solid State Member
I have a Sapphire Pure Crossfire 2 motherboard and I just wanna find out if it can handle a dual core processor and if so which? I checked on the Sapphire site and it says the following

Platform: Intel® Pentium® 4(LGA775 Socket) (Dual Core X40, Northwood, Prescott 3.8GHz+)
What does the Dual Core X40 stand for?

Sorry if I'm repeating a question about the X40, but i couldn't find any info on the intel X40 dual core chips.

I think Dual Core X40 was some previous name for the Pentium Ds, but dropped the idea. Anyway, go for a Pentium D. It's just a matter of how much, you want to pay.

That would be nice. But if you want, you can go for a lower model such as the 805 or 920, and just overclock it to 3.0GHz. Which will save you money. Probably that motherboard, has the capability to do so.

I can get it for about $90 (South African prices are a bit high).
But would it be worth it to replace my current P4 3GHz with it? I will be upgrading my whole rig sometime in the future in any case (posted a thread yesterday with the details of what i was thinking-Budget Gaming PC Switch- but that would only be somewhere from October to early next year as im still shopping around for the best pricing)

I don't think you'll see a huge difference. If I were you, I would just save all that money, for your new rig this October. By then, there will be a lot of new hardware released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom