picking a new monitor to pair with older graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
Probably a noob question here, but I have a Dell with an ATI 128mb X300 graphics card and I want to go from a 4:3 to a 16x9 monitor. I noticed on the ATI website (Radeon X300 Graphics Technology - GPU Specifications) that the only native widescreen resolutions it shows are 1920 x 1080 and 848 x 480. Will this mean sub par performance with a current "average" 1680 x 1050 widescreen monitor, or would it be OK?

i wouldnt get such a big monitor with that card, get a 19" instead, you wil get rubbish frame frates with that monitor, if you do get a big monitor upgrade you graphics card

I'm looking at either a 19 or 20 inch monitor....nothing huge, I just need the extra horizontal space.

My main question is will this card support the 1680 x 1050 max resolution of most monitors of this size? That rez isn't listed on the ATI site.

I supposed Powerstrip would solve that though, right? I think Radeon cards are compatible with custom resolutions?

it should do, i have the X550 which is slightly better card than yours, are yuo planning on gaming, if so deffinately go for the 19" as you will gain a better framerate, if your not gaming just go with the 20"

No gaming, just standard apps. It's a work computer....I just want a bigger monitor.

go for the 20", im sure your card will support the resolution, if not then you can buy another cheap card which will without spending over £45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom