To crossfire or not to crossfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmolson

Solid State Member
Hey Guys, got another question or 3 for anyone to share their 2 cents on.

Firstly my current system:

Asus P5W DH deluxe
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13ghz stock
2GB Team Xtreem ram
ATI X1950 256mb
Windows Vista x64

Alright now onto my questions.

1.) I wish to overclock my CPU. Obviously I will need a better HSF(heatsink, fan). I am stuck between the Sythe Ninja Rev. B or the Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme. The Ultra-120 is about $20 more than the Sythe Ninja. Would I just be better off getting the Ultra-120? I want to overclock my cpu as much as possible without using watercooling.

2.) As with overclocking my CPU I will need to increase the FSB speed. My current ram is shown as follows:

Team Xtreem PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-10 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit 2.0-2.2V

I wish to upgrade to 4gb. Would buying this ram limit my ability to overclock:

Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

And lastly:

3) My ATI x1950 256mb seems to struggle with such games as stalker (on max settings. and 1280x1024)

Currently a store here in Canada (Futureshop) is having a sale. For $150+tax I can get another x1950 256mb. My idea is obviously to set them up together in a crossfire setup. Is it worth spending this much money on another card? or would it be better to just sell my current x1950 for say $150(If I could get that much for it) and buy a new dx10 card.

running dx10 is not very important to me yet as it seems most games (all?) comming out are still supporting dx9

Thanks for your input!

1) get the TR its the best air cooler on the market right now, i have one and have so far been stable up to 3.6ghz on my quad

2) Word is the crucial ballistix is one of the best overclocking memories around, so good choice.

3) you might want to save your money for either an 8800 gts or a g92 if you can wait.

Wow, Thanks for your quick reply!

I can wait to get a dx10 card in a few months, thanks for the suggestion.

Looks like I'll e getting that thermalright then.

I will admit that i was sitting at around 62C load while at 3.6ghz, but this was before i got my antec 900, i'll probably overlock it again today to see how high the temps get. Moving to the antec lowered my cpu and vid card temps by about 10C, but also increased my room temps by about 5F so i havent really overclocked too hard until the weather cools off. I'm too cheap to run the AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom