How will this GPU do as a stopgap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyf

Daemon Poster
EDIT: QUESTION ANSWERED. I AM AN EEJIT

Right, I have half of the components for my build, and kind of want to get going, half because I can't take having half of a great computer lying around, and half because I want to see if the stuff I have so far works (so I can RMA if necessary).

So due to cash worries, it might be pushing it to buy everything else I need right now. So I was thinking of passing up on the GPU for now.

I have a Gigabyte FX5900 XT (the 128mb version) in my old computer and was wondering how well this would stand up as an interim measure. For now, the most I'd be using it for would be playing X3:reunion (if thats any help) and possibly Oblivion if I get round to it. My build is:

received so far:
Asus P5K deluxe wifi
2Gb Crucial Ballistix PC2 6400
Corsair HX520
Thermalright 120 Ultra extreme

Still to come:
(eVGA 8800GTS 320Mb)
Q6600 G0
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 of some description
Case (Centurion 534)
Fans (Scythe Sflex)
DVD burner
3.5" floppy
Arctic silver5

So would it be worth it? Even without the GPU, thats really pushing it cash flow wise, so I could just put it off for a month or two. Whaddyou guys reckon? Is it worth getting everything now just so I can check that it works within the RMA period?

I'm pretty dang sure they only made those cards in AGP and Pci (Unless you have the PCX 5900xt). If its AGP you can't use it because your board doesn't have a AGP slot. If its Pci then its slow but would work.

Right right... with the AGP. right. I always forget about the AGP. right...

>sobs quitely in corner<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom