$600 Gaming build and MSI 6600 GPU question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, i have no idea...what few games I have time to play are on the comp.

Thanks for the info regarding the RAM and PSU, I was pretty sure the PSU would do but I wasn't sure if that was the correct G.Skill everyone is always recommending.

Tell him to get an xbox 360. A pc built for gaming, but under $600 USD, is a total waste.

Yeah, so that he can spend $500 on a red ring of death, and wait 2 months for a replacement from microsoft since the idiots refuse to issue an active recall.

GG jackrosoft

Yeah, so that he can spend $500 on a red ring of death, and wait 2 months for a replacement from microsoft since the idiots refuse to issue an active recall.

GG jackrosoft

Mine is a firstwave and it works fine. I split it with my roommate/cousin for $250 used. $125 xbox 360 vs $1200 gaming pc... You do the math.

Mine is a firstwave and it works fine. I split it with my roommate/cousin for $250 used. $125 xbox 360 vs $1200 gaming pc... You do the math.

2 Flaws with this 360 vs gaming comp thing everyone keeps throwing at me:

1) Only makes any sort of sense if you're games are on the 360. I'm not much of a gamer but last time I checked WC3, CS:S and WOW weren't on the 360. Therefore 360 is not an option.

2) If you think about it of that $1200 (my rig below was sub $1000 but we'll go with your $1200) $600 makes up the basic computer you would need for everyday stuff anyways (word, internet, etc...). Therefore you're really only paying an additional $600 for the gaming element of the system...unless you can live without a comp altogether. Not that much of a difference from your 360 then when we look at it that way.

New question: saving some $$$ for my brother i'm using an old case for the rig, pulled it out of my garage and realized there are no fans on it at all. there is place for one 80mm at the back of the case I'll install but because of button positioning and case design there is nowhere to put a fan at the front to bring air in. I was thinking i'd cut a hole out of the side and put a 120mm in there around GPU level. Worth the $20.00 of parts? Otherwise there will be no fan drawing fresh air into the case. Just curious what people think.

It depends on what kind of system you are building. Now, I'm too lazy to read the whole entire thread, but technically, you can use a case without an intake fan. I find an exhaust blower works pretty good too as they sit in an empty PCI slot and draws the inside air out. But it's a nice idea on cutting your own hole on the side of the case. Then drill or punch some holes in the corners for the screws.

yeah, that's what I figured would be the best bang for buck....thought about the pci card fan thing but the system he'll have at this point won't be all that great so cheap fixes are best, and i don't mind the elbow grease of putting a fan in, might spruce up the case a bit.

yeah just use wateva spare parts u can and save money for the system.

i had a friend that bought his 360 and had to send it away first month he got it.

Yeah, that's the plan, feel bad for the guy...he blew all his money on some crap college program out of High School then quit just before finishing his last year...black sheep/rebel sort of thing. Realized he wasn't going anywhere pumping gas @ 20 and decided to go back to university, so now he's taking math and physics with the idea of being a teacher...he's doing well but because he blew his savings on the old college program he's scrapes by on pennies. tough lesson to learn but better for him in the end...

meh...good lesson learnt, and better that it be learnt young rather than old. Is tight now but he'll be sitting pretty in a 5 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom