Strange motherboard!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
get another cdrom which works fine from a friend or so and try it if its detected then there must be a problem with the cdrom..... to check a bit of your cdrom get an audio cd put it in and press the next button beside eject if you 1 also connect headphone or speakers with the stereo out put in front of the cdrom ..if it plays the cd it means your cdrom is reading cd's ......!!

Thanks for your help Vnet but I cant do the CD-ROM test because my computer wont boot into Windows XP with the CD-ROM connected to the mobo.

Regards
James

no you dont need to boot anywhere to check the cdrom take the ide cable out and let the power cable there.... and then try the audio stuff i said above...

Vnet is right. Try it. As he sad, check the ability of CDROM to read disks.
BUT you shouldn't conect the CDROM to motherboard to do this test. The only thing that MUST be connected to CDROM to perform this test is the power cable from your power supply, and headphones/speakers directly connected to CDROM to hear something.

SAD NEWS -- I dont have earphones or such that will plug in.
WEIRD NEWS-- I did put a Music cd in just to see if the CD-ROM would spin it up and did, I could hear it spin and doing its normal thing so I thought I will plug my IDE back in and I did and rebooted my system and it booted up with no probs so I went into My Computer to get into the CD Drive but it wasnt there, so I then booted and went into the BIOS and it says it is not installed.

James

Oh I forgot to say I can hear it making its normal sounds when I started the PC up so there isnt any probs with the CD-ROM..

I did hook up a diffren hard drive as a slave but didnt enter into that hard drive or anything as that hard drive was broken.

James

There are no problems in Device Manager. I will try System Restore and report back, cheers.

James

Is the CD-ROM recognized in BIOS? If not, try swapping your CD and HDD IDE cables. Make sure that the jumper settings are correct. If each of them is on their own IDE channel, they both should be set to master. If the CD-ROM is recognized in BIOS, it is possible that the XP drivers became corrupted, do the following.

With XP under control panel, double click on system, select the hardware tab then device manager. Check your CD-ROM drivers. Is it there. If it is, delete it and then reboot as they might simply have become corrupted (same thing happened once with my DVD). During boot-up, XP will recognize new hardware being installed and will reload correct drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom