Article on Overclocking memory. Really good read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
I found this Article on OCZ's forum and thought I'd share it, since it applies to all memory, not JUST OCZ-

So I bought my high end memory, whats the best way to run it? - OCZ Forum

"We all know there is more than one way to run memory, in fact really you could say there are 3 ways...these being:

1 Low speed tight timings
2 Mid speed mid timings
3 High speed lose timings.

Question is which one is best?

After testing the new DFI LP P35 here we found it offered quite a few options that proved usable for the memory with a given CPU speed.

Most enthusiasts or gamers buying Intel CPU's now are going to buy a quad core CPU, with this in mind a QX6850 was used for this article but owners of the Q6600 should also get some good data from this as the 8 and 9 multipliers are available to them. Of course if you have a dual core its still relevant also as it all depends on what multipliers you have on the CPU.
Please also remember with using a quad core the available FSB range is somewhat limited, while the excellent LP P35 is able to push upwards of 470FSB we used a max of 458 with an 8 multi for round figure of 3.66GHJZ clock speed on the CPU, in fact 3.66GHZ is somewhat of a magic number as staying within 7 MHZ of this we were able to clock the memory 17 different ways, with hopefully results that prove one way or another which is fastest and which way is slowest."

Hope this isn't too much of a "Duh" article, I found it interesting.

Great. Helped me understand a bit more what the strap was for.

I was debating 4-4-4-12 on 367fsb/ DDR2-881 with 5:6 ratio or 4-4-4-12 on a 413fsb DDR2-826mhz with a 1:1 ratio.

Though, for me, the difference was about 100 points more in 3dmark06 with the higher fsb/lower frequency which seems a bit contrary to the article.

Actually, RAM has been getting the better or me, this cleared up a number of foggy issues I was having.

Yeah I dunno. You increase the FSB speeds when you overclock your CPU and this, in effect, changes your memory speeds also. The biggest question that comes to my mind is

1) When you try to boost the frequency on your RAM past the FSB you use for the CPU, it changes the FSB:Ram ratio to acheive it. So, If that's the case then does your FSB bottleneck you? (i.e. FSB of 413 means you can only get DDR2-826 speed even if you set the frequency to DDR2-9XX, is this right?) What am I missing>?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom