Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

slyfxsi

Baseband Member
Hey all!,
just thought id say hello as im the new guy! and to ask a valuable queston!
What different motherboards are there? and how can i tell what mine is?
its from a dell dimension 2400, and its well slow now, so was looking for a replacment motherboard and processor! any ideas please?

can we have the specs of the Dell plz? Even so, i would guess that its a better idea to just build a whole new RIG, rather than pumping money into an aging machine.

hey peter, i like your 2nd quote...actually my gf pointed it out and she thought it was sweet. You knoe girls!!!

You have a microATX motherboard with a 478 CPU. Any current CPU on the market will be faster than what you currently have.

The biggest question will be what your budget is. Depending on what you want, you may or may not need to upgrade your PSU (which is either 200W or 250W). If your budget allows, you could build a whole new system.

Since your RAM is DDR, it won't work with AM2 or 775 CPUs. Your hard drive could be re-used, as could your optical drive(s). Your case could be re-used as well, but cases can be very cheap to very expensive (whatever you want).

So, post your possible budget and we'll see what we can do.

That's my thought as well, but I am sure some on here will urge him to go with a quad core and a 8800 Ultra... Sometimes bigger is not better, depending on the need. Going from a 478 Celly to a 939 dual will be like night and day.

Newegg.com - AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - Foxconn 6150BK8MC-KRSHN2 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6150B(PV) GPU Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

$160, free shipping

The 6150 graphics are pretty awesome for onboard. May want to add a little RAM.

^ thats a good idea... i told my friend to get a video card and it was turbocache (7300gt i believe) and he was like.. "Vernon you DA, it stole some of my RAM" then i was like thats why i told you to buy the extra 128mb stick... so it looks like it isn't turbocache.. and it still performs better than a non-turbocache 7300gt in a system thats identical to urs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom