Overclocking an E2140

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Hello there. I am currently waiting for some new computer parts to come in, hopefully by the end of the week.

I've heard some good things about overclocking an E2140. Here's my situation though. The motherboard I'm using (Asrock 4coredual) is limited to DDR2-5300, however I will be getting 2GB of OCZ Plat. DDR2-6400 Rev. 2, the lower clock speed will allow me to set tighter timings, more stability, more overclock.

I'm also debating whether or not to stick with the stock heatsink or to get an Arctic Cooling 7 Pro. Will the stock cooling really prevent my overclock by that much?

Considering all this, would it be unrealistic to hope that I can set the RAM to run at 600MHz, have a 1:1 multiplier ratio and the multiplier set to x5, giving me 3.0GHz?? Do I have this all backwards??

I would say that your motherboard will really hold your overclock back. If you want to get good results from a core2 then get a p35 DS3R. And the e2140 is a little underpowered. I would go with an E6320 or something.

well, that's going way over what I can really afford. I'll stick with the stock fan and current mobo, knowing that I can at least get an 800MHz overclock to 2.4GHz (plenty of people have been able to achieve it with the combo)

ha well, I've expanded my budget. I was initially running at about $350, but I am now aiming for a little above $500 including shipping and taxes, and currently planning to get an E2160, a x1950GT, OCZ Plat. Rev2. DDR2-6400 2GB kit, a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 mobo, a Thermaltake 430W PSU and an NZXT Apollo case, which is coming out to about $520

Anyway, with this setup, and the overclocking knowledge I've gained in doing some extensive research, I'm confident I can reach 3.6GHz with a 1:1 fsb/memory ratio.

its not a core2 its an allendale. i heard they overclock okay, though. omar im guessing you already have the other components (mobo, anyway) for an intel system?

also, 3.6ghz is a 100% overclock (im sure you're aware of that), and i dont think that will be um, all that easy. but i suppose it is possible.

ha well, I've expanded my budget. I was initially running at about $350, but I am now aiming for a little above $500 including shipping and taxes, and currently planning to get an E2160, a x1950GT, OCZ Plat. Rev2. DDR2-6400 2GB kit, a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 mobo, a Thermaltake 430W PSU and an NZXT Apollo case, which is coming out to about $520

Anyway, with this setup, and the overclocking knowledge I've gained in doing some extensive research, I'm confident I can reach 3.6GHz with a 1:1 fsb/memory ratio.

3.6 ghz?? ur kidding me right??

ppl only reach that high with a p35-ds3r or p35-ds3l or a new p35 board and they have higher end RAM too

Well yah, hahaha, I'm way over my head here, my bad - that is a bit much, although X-bit labs was able to OC to 3.4GHz on air. I'm an optimistic type of guy.

All I have's a hard drive and DVD-RW that will be going into the new system nagasama.

my recommendation, scratch that build get these:

e4300
x1950xt
p35-ds3l

or go AMD:

x2 4000+ Brisbane
x1950xt
evga 590

also get G-SKill NQ's or Crucial Ballistix RAM and get Nagasama to help you overclock AMD's

err, that's significantly more money :\

well actually, no the DS3L is the exact same price as the 965-S3, E4300 is the same price as an E4400, oddly enough, so might as well go with that

As for the x1950xt, I might as well go with an x1950GT and overclock it to PRO speeds. There's an $80 difference between the GT and XT. Btw, I'm working with Canadian prices, not US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom