Suggestions on New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimmly

Solid State Member
I feel like a copycat but here is what I propose to build.

Antec 900
Hiper 580w
P35 DS3R
Q6600 G0
Tuniq Tower 120
Crucial Ballistix 2x1 GB DDR2 800
Evga 8800GTS 320MB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
Samsung 18x Black

Any suggestions? My hobbies are video editing and photo editing. Currently I do no game much, but when I do I play mostly RPG's/MMORPG's.

P.S. Hello all. Been viewing tech-forums for about a year, finally got the cash to build.
P.P.S. Is a floppy drive necessary? I suppose I could use my old one if necessary.

Hey grimmly
welcometotf2xr9.png

If you're into video and photo editing, get two sets of that RAM. But you'll also be needing a 64-bit edition of the operating system to fully utilize all that RAM.

A floppy drive isn't necessary, unless you are flashing the BIOS constantly. But there are other ways of doing that. For example, USB flash drives.

The system looks great. Those are all the parts that we recommend daily here, at T.F.....well except for the power supply, but that is a good one as well. I use it myself.

If you don't game much, I guess the 8800GTS isn't really necessary. Unless you're looking towards future games. You can just get either 7900GS or X1950XT.

yeah if you dont intend gaming then it doesnt make sense getting an up to date 8 series card, the ones mentioned will run anything, not at the highest settings but not far off.

Rest of it is great, and dont feel like a copycat, theres a very good reason alot of other people choose similar parts ;)

A bit more hard disk space might not be a bad idea if you are doing serious video editing.

Well as far as MMORPG gaming goes, my rig is in my sig. Built it a year ago nearly. Probably alot cheaper than what you are proposing for yourself, but it simply annhilates WoW, L2, and RO2. I run WoW in top settings, runs beautifully in both windowed, and full screen mode. While multi tasking with Winamp/foobar, MPC playing an anime file, and with IE/FF windows open.

I've also run Azureus with a dozen or so torrents seeding for 2 weeks straight, and the system wasn't unstable. Didn't even really see a noticeable slowdown until well into the second week.

You really don't need to go overboard if you just do MMORPG's. Nothing out right now is TOO horribly taxing for someone who can build their own rig, and has around a grand to spend.

Now that will change with WoW's next expansion, supposedly they are refining the shader system, and incorporating some new elements into the graphics/physics of the game... so if you play WoW you may want to look ahead a bit.

^ but his has a quad-core (which is useful for video editing) and an 8800gts 320mb but u might wanna step down in video card cuz u don't need the 8800gts 320mb's raw power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom