upgraded to 4gb ram but vista 64 bit only sees 3gb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you fix it, make sure you post the solution. I just purchased within the last 24 hours and I will be doing the same thing. Good luck.

hopefully i can fix this. The mobo should be able to support 8gb or ram without having to flash the bios. not sure why this is happening :(

All four rams are seen on everest and cpuz so it cant be installed incorrectly.

ok i solved it! I just had to enable the "Remap" feature in the BIOS so it would read 4gb not sure why i have to do that. Gonna research and find out what this means enabling it.

found out what remapping is on memory and found this....

Windows and 4GB RAM — The Frustration, Confusion and Solution(Part 3)

I didnt know vista 64bit ultimate supports 128GB of RAM! If I knew i woulda gotten that instead haha like i would have more than 16GB anyway :(

Now just need to play with the bios again to increase my RAM Frequency.

So should i try increasing the voltage first? When i tried 1000MHz at 5-5-5-15 or 5-5-5-18 I had it at 1.9V. The system does post but it will not boot, it shows some error message in a black screen saying that I have to go to the setup or forceboot it at the current configuration or something like that.

So i just went to the bios menu and adjusted it back to 800MHz for a 1:1 ratio.

So if I want this to go 1000MHz do i increase the timing by decreasing the numbers or loosening it by decreasing the numbers?

Most mobos set the memory voltage at 1.8, so if you are overclocking set it to +.2 and you should be fine. If you are overclocking its also best to loosen the timings on the memory until you find out what cpu overclock is stable. My memory will run at 4-4-4-12 if everything is running stock but i had to loosten the timings to 5-5-5-15 just to be safe while trying to get my cpu overclock.

I thought the whole point of Vista 64 was so that you could use more than 3gb of ram. If this is true then i'll just have to stick to my XP until vista sp1 comes out. Right now my XP 32 is seeing 3.5gb of my ram.

Stick with XP anyways, vista is just a pain in the @ss right now. Vista is not currently offering anything but problems... the mac vs PC commercial tell the story well.. unfortunately.

but on cpuz and everest it shows the ram in installed. I think what the bios shows is what the vista shows too. cuz its all shaded the color is......

try each stick on another pc, if one isnt recognised as its full capacity then you have a problem with the module and need to return it

Hm..... the only way the machine runs is with this settings, i tried all different settings including different voltages, well 2.0 volts but didnt want to go any higher..... unless its the only way. but here it is

the only settings the machine will run is at 800MHz and 5-5-5-15 timing, wont run at 4-4-4-12.

I tried 1000MHz @ 2.0V 4-4-4-12, 5-5-5-15, and 6-6-6-18.

Should I just return the RAM if its decreasing my performance? And order the G.Skill HZ again, the ones I already have so they are the same ram and I can overclock better? Thanks :D

have you tried the modules on a different machine?????

the problem is solved. the machine now reads 4gb even on vista just had to turn the "memory remap feature" in the bios for windows and the bios to read over 4gbs of ram..

Now the problem is its decreasing my performance by a tad bit cuz it was a comparison between 1000MHz and 800Mhz. with the new ram i cant overclock it, so what ima do is just order the same ram I have and oc it to what it already is oced and see if that works out, if it doesnt then its fine, it should work better anyway since they'll be the same brand :)

Ill order it when I get to college hehe which will be in 13 days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom