$600 Gaming build and MSI 6600 GPU question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
K, my brother is thinking of getting a new system, i don't know the exact specs but he's running a P4 1.6 and rage 64mb at this time...he's a big CS:S and WC3 player and is looking for something new to get into. he's got an MSI 6600 (not sure of excact model) from a friend. and i've got an old case and drives that I'm going to give him which means he's got $500-600 CAN for the guts:

- PSU
- Mobo
- CPU
- RAM
- HD

I'm thinking the same build as I have below in my sig should be possible, maybe a cheaper PSU and RAM.... suggestions:

- PSU: ????
- Mobo: evga 590 - $155
- CPU: AMD X2 3600+ - $70
- HD: seagate 250HD - $80
- RAM: ????

(above prices already have our %15 sales tax included)

NOTE: newegg prices don't apply as they won't ship to Canada

Q1: RAM and PSU???
Q2: any suggestions to cut down the $$$
Q3: how will the 6600 hold up with this build, will the system play the newer games? he'd probably pick up an 8800 next year once they get to low 200s.

1. Are you sure the 6600 is a pci-e and not a agp? (they made both)
2. You could save a lot by buying a cheaper mobo
3. Those games don't require a lot of ram but ram is cheap so you could probably get 2gb of Crucial Ballistix (thats what everyone on here has been suggesting).
4. I don't know much about power supplies but I know amps are more important....

5. When you say he wants to get into something new, do you mean new games or just new computer? If its new games a 6600 is kinda low end.

Tell him to get an xbox 360. A pc built for gaming, but under $600 USD, is a total waste.

problem being that CS:S and WC3 are his staple games....and the old P4 just can't cut it. He's poor student trying to pinch his pennies. He's hoping that for the $600+ and the 6600 will get him buy for a year and then he'll upgrade his video.

[edit]Just saw the remark regarding "something new" new game...he'll keep playing his CS:S and WC3 but he wants to try some new stuff as well. Yeah, know the 6600 is dated, will it get him through a year?[/edit]

It will play CS:S and WoW no problem. It will also play all the new games but some will have to be set on lower settings. But it can get him by for now.

^ That's what I was hoping....there was no way he was going to get by on $600 for the GPU and the tower included. Either way, atleast he'll have no more problems with CS:S and WC3 which I think he now plays with graphics turned down.

They both look good.

I would say that the PSU is overkill, but if he is planning to upgrade I guess that might be a good thing. I don't know about the quality of the psu though.

Tell him to get an xbox 360. A pc built for gaming, but under $600 USD, is a total waste.

Should I get a 360 or PS3 instead of a RAM? Hehe, i barely use my PC for gaming anymore since theres not much games that I like.

If I shouldnt get the RAM if say 2GB is enough, then what system should I get PS3 or 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom