New sound system

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmass

Baseband Member
I'm looking to get a new sound system for listening to music really loud and watching videos. The quality of the music is the absolute most important thing and I would like to maintain the quality at loud volumes. I'm looking to spend short of $200 on the system, but am willing to go a little over. So I had some questions and hardware I was looking at. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#1. What is the advantage of having 5 speakers vs. 2 speakers? Does it have any effect on quality of sound output, specifically in music?
#2. What should I look for in a speaker system (I've been looking at watts and decibles)?
#3. What should I look for in a sound card?

The sound cards I was looking at both seem to support the speakers I was looking at, is there any reason I should get the more expensive one?
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPU's and much more : CREATIVE SB X-FI XTREME MUSIC
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPU's and much more : Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Sound Card

And here are the speakers:
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPU's and much more : Altec Lansing VS3251 - PC multimedia home theater speaker system - 70 Watt (total)
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPU's and much more : Logitech <font color=red>Z 2300</font> - PC multimedia speaker system - 200 Watt RMS
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPU's and much more : CREATIVE 5.1 4X8W+18W+26W SUB INSPIRE T6100 - BLACK (RETAIL)
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPU's and much more : Logitech <font color=red> Z 5300e </font> - PC multimedia home theater 280 Watt

Thanks.

Thank you for you input, but what about my questions? Is there any reason I need a home theatre vs. 2 speakers for sound quality? And do I need to look at anything more than if my sound card supports my speakers?

The only reason you should get 5 channel computer speakers is if you plan to watch DVDs on your computer, or if you are going hard core FPS gaming and such. Typically, a factory set of 2 speakers and 1 subwoofer compared to 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer will be much more powerful.
So if you aren't gaming, or don't need your movies in surround sound, stick with 2 speakers.

If you are just using a DVD player, go with a powerful set of 2 stereo speakers, with a nice subwoofer.

It depends on what you need your sound card to be able to do. If music and games is the most you will do, any of the lower range Sound Blaster X-FI cards will do, although you can survive with an Audigy or less, since they can all decode Dolby Digital, I think.

Logitech makes quite cheap computer speakers, but you get what you pay for. Shop around, go to stores and try their demos.

Well I don't intend to ever use them for gaming. Just music and DVDs, but more music. However I'm looking for perfect quality with my music (below the 1% for extra 10% cash mark). So would a 2 speaker and 1 subwoofer system give me top quality audio for music at extremely high volumes (like you can hear it throughout the entire house and out in the street type volume)?

Also what do wattage and decibles tell me about speakers?

Thanks for the help so far.

dicibles tell how loud the speakers can go
wattage is how many watts of power are used by the speakers

also the sound card I suggested can divide up the sound to all to give you surround sound in music so i'd say go with the home theatre speakers

Is surround sound the only experience I would gain from having more than 2 speakers? Like it wouldn't improve quality or unlock (per se) sounds that I couldn't get from 2 speakers? Because I'd really like a high decible system; but I'm not sure how many I need. Can anyone give me a good indication of how loud 80 decibles is? Or where I could find out?

Thanks.

if you want really good sound quality at high volumes then dont buy pc speakers, get a good high quality sterio (sp?) and then by a cable to conect to the pcs sound card this will give you way better sound quality/ volume, for what you want i dont think youd need surround.
surround deosnt unlock any extra sounds
this help; http://www.siemens-hearing.co.uk/uk...r/02-hearing-noise/_resources/images/pic1.jpg

Listen to el roberto.

I have my computer hooked up to my jvc 5.1 stereo receiver/surround sound speakers and 12" sub....the sound is amazing whether it's music or watching a movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom