Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleTheBlade

Solid State Member
My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1800:

80GB HD
1.6 Ghz Processor
512MB DDR RAM
Intel Chipset Family (doesnt say anything else)

My question is, and it is probably a commonly asked one, but do they make any upgradeable video cards for these beasts? Im trying to play Neverwinter Nights and it works, but its very choppy at times and just generally "not fun" to play at times. I used to have a Dell Dimension 4600, 2.8 Ghz processor with a 128 MB video card and 512 MB of RAM and it ran it perfectly, better than necessary even. Im just snooping around to see if I can upgrade it. If not, its not a big deal. I have another machine I can upgrade but this one is just closer to the specs that I need. Thanks!

First off, that's a Dell >> Hard to upgrade, build like junk.

Next, those specs are horrible. A new video card won't help either.

Save up for a new system.

dell makes decent laptops, they are reliable. the desktops are junk, period. don't expect it to be a screamer. unfortunately a video card upgrade is out of the question, but adding more ram should solve your problem.

they do make external laptop video cards, but you need an express card slot, and they are awfully expensive.

I will probably not even worry about it. It lacks in alot of other places too and only makes a good workhorse for my schoolwork and programming assignments. I have a box that I am planning to build up though...

And I already have 512 MB of RAM, I dont think I can support more than a gig on that machine. However, I did see a 2.4 GHz Intel Celeron M for sale on eBay for like, 15 bucks. Though if I was to pop that in there cooling it would be an issue :laughing:

To my understanding...you can only upgrade hdd, and ram on laptops...maybe the dvd burner.
But graphic card, i dont think so.

I dont believe it even has a card, I think its just a chipset mounted to the motherboard. In that case I wont worry about it, I like working on desktops better anyway. Like the one I list in my siggy :happy: Its old but back in the day when I bought it new she was top of the line. Now shes just an afterthought I cant let go of :(

It's possible you can upgade your video. Dell doesn't list an Inspiron 1800 as one of the models they've made, though. Are you sure that's its model number? I can't find it anywhere.

Oops, its a Dell Inspiron 1300, I keep forgetting. Im more worried about updating the BIOS on my old Gateway now seeing as how Im going to try to squeeze as much life out of it as I can, lol

EDIT: I just found out that my chipset has 128 MB onboard. Thats not bad... So in theory the processor is the only thing thats lagging behind everything else in comparison to the Dell PC I had awhile back. Sweet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom