Sturdy Gaming Notebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokarr

Baseband Member
Well currently I am running on an old Dell Dimension 8300, Pent 4. 3.0ghz, (Nvidia 6800) 1gig memory. I am looking forward to purchase a notebook this Christmas season which can "replace" my desktop. Price range is under 1,800 and I do want it to run smoothly on DX10 Games that are coming out soon.

Specs I'm looking for :

Core2Duo 2.14ghz +
2Gig Memory
8600 graphics card or similar
15.4" Monitor
Good at running multiple programs and can handle dx10 games.

I've looked at the ASUS C90 module and it seems to have everything I need. It is also running on the E processor modules, which I do not really know what the difference of E and T's are if someone could explain :]

Considering I do have a few months to wait and decide, do you guys have any brands or websites that may help? And what do you guys think of sites like IBUYPOWER and CYBERPOWERPC? is 7200RPM harddrive a decent upgrade from 5400RPM, or will it cause overheating issues for a notebook?

C90's use desktop cpus (E) and therefore have a really bulky cooling solution and they still get hot. The T ones are the mobile cpus and perform pretty much the same at the same clocks but of course can't clock as high as E. C90s are decent notebooks since they allow some extra juice on the cpu but they have some issues and battery life is pretty much non existant. The one thing going for them is that they should be really upgradeable (including the video card)

I still probably wouldn't buy one though, I think Dells are pretty much the best option right now for those specs unless you want a nicer/slimmer/lighter chassis, you can get them for a grand or so.

If you do want to buy a c90 or something, don't buy from ibuypower/cyberpower. Xoticpc and powernotebooks are MUCH better. Also look at compal ifl90 (offered on those 2 sites)

And I don't think the HD upgrade is worth it (although others might disagree), it's not really a big difference and it does produce a lot more heat. And fyi, a 160g 5400 performs similar to a 100g 7200 because of the increased disk density (and they usually cost the same too and don't produce as much heat)

ASUS makes the best laptops in the world bar none. both cyberpower and ibuypower a good resellers IMO, they carry only ASUS machines. Don't go for the most power available, because what they don't tell you is you pretty much forfeit battery life. look for something in between the fastest and slowest, and then shelve out cash for a second battery or a bigger one.

The xoticpc site seemed to have quite a variety of nice laptops... but after choosing my specs it turned out 200$ more than the same specs of the same module as it would on cyberpower... not sure whats going on.

^ um no... thats wrong... Dell laptops are good (made by a 3rd party) but their desktops are crap and their monitors are good (also made by 3rd party)

ASUS makes the best laptops in the world bar none. both cyberpower and ibuypower a good resellers IMO, they carry only ASUS machines. Don't go for the most power available, because what they don't tell you is you pretty much forfeit battery life. look for something in between the fastest and slowest, and then shelve out cash for a second battery or a bigger one.

I imagine thinkpad users would dispute that claim, and with good reason.

Hey I know a good laptop HP Pavilion HDX Entertainment 20.1-inch laptop , it features : 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 Processor; 20.1-inch Widescreen LCD; 2GB Memory; 120GB Hard Drive. Dual Layer DVD Burner with LightScribe; ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT 512MB video card; Integrated Wireless. Pretty cool specifications , and you know right now the price is quite high about $3000, but I found a deal site with a low price deal for $2400 :

dealstudio.com :: View topic - HP Pavilion HDX Entertainment 20.1-inch Notebook $2400 :: Deals, Coupons, Rebates, Freebies, Discounts, Bargains

I think this is a good laptop for game also. How do you like it , hope this helps and good luck .

I would pay the extra money and customize your own. Dell XPS is an excellent brand/model, and you won't need to upgrade it for a while if you put enoguh money into it. If you don't have that kind of money, there are other options, but you won't find much out there on a low budget. e-mail me if you want and i'll customize one for you and e-mail you the page. My e-mail address is: spines.com@gmail.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom