I'm lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazboy

Solid State Member
First off hello to everyone. This is my problem.I have a gigabit GA-7DXR mother board running windows XP pro. I was checking out my systems information earlier and noticed that it said I only had 256ddr ram. But really I have two sticks of 256ddr ram. The system was showing only 256 and not the 512 that I have in the system. (I have two 256 ddr ram) SO, I shut the sytem down took one of the stripes of ram out and booted up, it booted up and srtill showed 256. Then I shut down again and switched the stickes of ram and wouldn't boot up. Just gave me one beep and that was it. Then I would shut it down put the good stick of ram back in; did that a couple of times to make sure I had the good one in. Then when I thought I had the good one in, I booted up walked into the other room, walked back in a minute later and there was no video on the monitor. I turned the computer off and noticed a strange smell. From there on out no matter what I did I couldn't get any video. I put all the ram back in, it woudl; start up but still I couldn't get any video; But the computer was running. So I took the video card out and tried it on another computer and it worked fine. So somehow I screwed something up when I was taking out the ram becuase I can't get it to work. It powers up and stays running but I don't get any video out of it. I took the hard drive out of that system and put it into another Dell system running XP home as the slave drive on the same IED cable as the hard drive in the DEll system. But I can't figure out how to see it or what I need to do to get all this information off this hard drive, or what I should do. I'm so confused and lost. There is a lot of information on the hard drive that I need. Is there a way for me to format the hard drive to run the DEll while saving all the information on it? PLEASE HELP. Thanks very much for your time and any help. Sorry about the novel

I think you may have shorted out the motheboard while changing ram, maybe sticking in a stick of ram backwards??? not all the way, any number of things. Can you try a different motherboard???

I dont have another mother board..I guess i could buy anther mother board.. But, That wouldnt help me with the info on the harddrive, Will it? If i get the same mother board?

I think the harddrivemight be dead also, since you cant see it in windows, Are you sure you put it correctly into the dell. Also, take a magnifying glass and look over the hard drive and motherboard, look for any burn marks.

yep, one is the master the one i'm putting in is set to slave..Is there a command you typ in the RUN that detects your harddrives??

ok, I see it in my computer now..But when i try and to click on the drive its super slow could be this dell only has 128 in it..anyway when i click on the drive it wont open, I get this message "The request could not be performed because of an i/o device error??The clue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom