RAM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Well, when it comes to RAM I know that speed is more important than quantity. 256MB* of DDR2-6400 with tight timings would absolutely crush say 1GB of PC133.

But is it different for games? Are games more dependent on the raw quantity of ram, or can the speed of the memory compensate where quantity lacks?

Currently, I can only manage a 1GB setup, running a pair 512MB DDR2-6400s on a board that only has 2 DDR2 slots. If I downclock the ram to 667MHz and tighten the timings, will it be enough for gaming in general? Will it compensate the lack of RAM quantity? Will it be like running 2GB of DDR2-5300 at loose timings?

Most people recommend at least 2GB. Unfortunately, I can't afford a 2GB kit, there's a $75 price difference.

*I know that 256MB DDR2-6400 sticks don't exist...

How much are you willing to spend?

Games depend more on the quantity of RAM, rather than the speed of the RAM.

I could always just upgrade my board later on when I feel that 1GB ain't enough. Get something with 4 slots. I was thinking an Asus P5B, but that's about double what I'm paying for my current mobo.

///whoops double post

oh, I thought you were gonna recommend a 2GB kit. I'm already investing in a 1GB Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2-6400 kit for $65.99 with no mail in rebate available at Canada Computers, they also have $9.99 flat shipping!! My order came to $370 with tax and shipping!

Intel E2140
1GB Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2-6400 kit
AsRock 4Coredual-SATAII mobo
NZXT Apollo ATX Case
Thermaltake 430W PSU (W0070RUC)

ah, lol, my bad, I thought maybe there was a real good deal out there for a 2GB kit that I wasn't aware about. Usually they'll go for about $135 before mail-in-rebate for a decent brand, eh? I don't like MIR, I avoid them like the plague unless it's a substantial amount and general feedback from other customers is that the money comes quick.

Anyway, what would you say about the RAM that I currently have? The order is placed, but won't be processed till' Monday, so I have plenty of time to reconsider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom